F150 CD Player HOT!

On a 2001 F150 the CD player is starting to get real hot. The player even gives an error "CD HOT" and shuts down. Any idea what causes this??? Happens with any CD after about 15 minutes of play.

Thanks

Reply to
EFK

My '03 has a little fan inside that runs sometimes. Maybe your quit running?

Reply to
wß

I think I remember a discussion on this at

about the radios. It was a issue that was corrected later in the 2001 model year. They came out with the model of radio with the fan in them like WB mentioned. Some were getting theirs exchanged under warranty due to this for the newer models. If your still under warranty its worth a shot.. Mine did it also especially in the winter with the heater running but I installed an aftermarket Alpine deck and never had an issue again. Call you dealer and ask about it and see what they will do

Reply to
FordStyle

They only added the fan mid way through the 2003 model year. My orignal CD player would get hot and refuse to eject CDs. Dealer installed a replacement. Not only did it solve the ejection problem, the replacement also worked better. It has enough buffer that it can change CD without ever stopping the music.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Ed, My fathers 2002 model ( bought when they first hit lot for new year) has the fan in it so it to have been fixed in the earlier years. I know my Alpine has been in my 01 F150 over 22 mths and the newer model radio with fan was out when I installed it. I had thought about getting it exchanged but wanted more power and control aftermarket offered. Not trying to stir trouble but pin down when these new ones came out. Its got me curious now.....

Reply to
FordStyle

bad cd player

Reply to