F150 info on unlcoking steering column key?

This morning when I went to start my 150, the steering column was (still is) locked 35 degrees off centre and the key won't turn to unlock the steering wheel and start the truck. The front wheels are straight though.

I tried finessing the steering wheel and lock - to no avail.

Before I call for assistance does anyone know what causes this, how to unlock the wheel and possible preventive maintaince?

appreciate and postings or email response to lenski1 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Thanks LA

Reply to
nedlam

Try grabbing the steering wheel and move it to the left and while you are holding it there - try the key. and / or move the steering wheel towards the Right and while holding it there - try the key. It sounds as if the locking mech. is just resting tight against the un-lock lever of the key switch.

Reply to
samstone

Tilt wheel? What year? Sounds like a broken actuator.

Reply to
Steve Barker
2004, yup she has tilt steering.

Whats a broken actuator - can I fix it or is it a shop thing? thanks.

Reply to
nedlam

She's an 04, so do you still have factory warranty on this vehile? If so let the dealer worry about the parts an labor for this issue. If you dont, I will let someone else tell you how to fix this. Its not real complicated, but it can be a real pain to do. I would try to turn the wheel hard to the left or right, so see if the lock is just really tight. I have a habit of rolling the steering wheel when I first get out of my truck, and as a result, I end up with a very stiff wheel lock the next time I start the truck, and I have to pull (sometimes pretty hard) to get the wheel unlocked.

Reply to
Ford Tech

Can't say for sure it's the same item as was on my 91 F150, but when it "went out", this is what I replaced, deep in the steering column.

Basically, it transfers the rotary motion of the ignition lock mechanism in the steering colum, to a linear motion to the actual switch, mounted under the dash.

Can't seem to find it searching Ford Parts, but your dealer will know what it is.

If indeed it's still under warranty, I'd not hesitate to have them do it. The part is inexpensive, but it's somewhat involved to R & R it.

DJ

Reply to
IdaSpode

In a '04 I'm sure it's different than the one IdaSpode showed a picture of. But that was the part I was thinking of. I'll bet in an '04 it's going to be a shop repair. Especially if you've not done one yet. The older ones were pain enough.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Thanks to all. It either fixed it self or I just applied the correct amount of pressure on the wheel and key turned.

Fords....go figure!

thanks again.

LA

Reply to