F150 keypad

I have a 2002 F150 Fx4 with keyless entry. My wife makes deliveries to customers and a couple of days ago it was 42 below with the windchill up here on the canadian border. She left the vehicle running and ran up to a customers door with a delivery and when she returned to the truck both doors were locked with her purse and cell phone inside the cab.

She said the locks clicked shut the minute she closed the door. With no way to get back inside she had her customer drive her home to get another set of keys to gain entry. I experimented with the locks trying to simulate the situation and once or twice it did lock when the door was shut with the engine running but not consistantly.

I see that there is a keyless entry pad available from Ford as an add on that would enable a person to gain entry in case of a lock out.

Has anyone every added this accessory to a F150? Is it difficult to program and what is involved?

Up here in the far frozen north it could be a life saver.

I would appreciate anyone with experience on this device.

Thanks

Reply to
Ole

I added it to my 2000 F150 and it was a matter of ordering the keypad/door handle assembly. There was a connector in the door that was already there and capped off. You remove the old door handle and install the new one with the keypad, route the harness to the connector in the door and hook it in. You will need the code for the lock or get it off the box on the firewall on the inside of the truck up above where the pedals come through.

Not sure if the 2002 models have the connector in the door already like the

2000 models.
Reply to
No Spam

No experience with the keypad, but I can at least confirm your wife's experience.

My taurus did this to me once; now my antenna has an odd kink in it :). I always roll the drivers window down about halfway if I get out when it is running. There's supposed to be an idiot detector that will reunlock the doors if you use the power lock button with the door open. There is probably some odd bug in the computer code there that will lock you out.

Reply to
Calvin

If you believe it's the cold weather, a cheaper/quick alternative might be to disable the autolock feature for the winter (or at least for the arctic conditions you're experiencing now - I can't fathom temps like that. I have a friend there who said when he spit, it actually froze BEFORE it hit the ground, Didn't sound like he was pulling my leg either!)

Reply to
sunrisr

It's so damned cold up here that the town flasher has to describe himself!

Reply to
Ole

Far cheaper would be for her to just have a door key in her pocket. I would be pissed to no end my wife left the truck running AND her purse in it unattended. But then I know the hell someone goes through because of identity theft. Not to mention most insurance companies will say, so sorry you left keys in vehicle with it running, that's not covered

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Or the old stand-by " the magnetic box hide a key".

Reply to
samstone

While I agree with you about this with people who leave the car running while they run into 7-11 (or wawa, or whatever's in your neck of the woods), In this particular case, the OP stated that in -42 deg weather, she opened & closed the truck door, took a package up to a house door and came back. Sounds to me like the truck wasn't out of her sight and that it may have taken her a matter of 30 seconds to do her task. Are you telling me that you would have turned off the truck, locked to doors, etc for that? I would think that re-peated procedure can't be too good for the engine/starter/battery in that kind of weather, but I guess the biggest factor would be what kind of area she did this in.(NYC? no...Cow plop MN? probably..) Many people leave thier car runing unattended for much longer times, like warming it up in the morning (When I leave in the morning, you can see the white exhaust drifting out of driveways up and down the block.) While you are right that any car stolen during this is a "easy out" for the insurance companies, my point is that is extremly common here in the north. Besides, at -42 I would think it's too cold for even the thieves. :)

BTW - The above is just idle talk and is not meant as flaming at all....I have read a lot of your postings and thought I should also add that I find yours and a few others on here usually valuable and insightful. Thanks!

Reply to
sunrisr

The keypad you refer to attaches to the door via double sided tape, and acts like a remote key fob, but needs a five digit code to operate. I have had one on my Ranger for some time now and it works like a charm. It has functions similar to the factory keypad (at least like those on my Lincoln) and can be set to any five digit entry code. You can have up to four remote devices programmed at the same time, so you can have your two remote fobs, the keypad, and one spare. My advice - get one via eBay auction (as I did - but make sure it is a new one), it will cost you much less than the same part from the dealer. The programming is explained in the instructions, I did mine in about five minutes. good luck

Reply to
McAlisters

Thanks for all the insight. I appreciate it

Reply to
Ole

[...]

oklaman

I had a 1994 150 that did this a couple of times and my 2003 did it once. I put a quick disconect on my key chane to isolate the remote from the key so when ever I leave the truck running and I am not in it I disconect, take the remote with me because you can lock the truck, go about your business, come back press the button to enter the truck and away you go.

Reply to
bill gammon

If you do that, make sure you change them batteries in the remote pretty often (like once a year), nothin like gettin a dead battery in the remote and locked keys in the car.. LOL

Reply to
Ford Tech

Wife did it with an '01 Ranger. Left engine running, unclipped the remote from the ring, got out and locked the doors with the remote. Seems the "software" says if the engine is running and the doors are locked, the remote don't work no more.....I did a test.. Cure was a $2 door key on the remote ring and make sure it's in your hand....good also when the remote goes stupid.

Reply to
rkmr15203

Reply to
Paul H. Wray