F150 shudder

Hi ... I just required a 96 F150 2WD 170K miles, and it seems to have a shudder(best as I can describe) when the converter locks (about45mph) and is getting worse. what kind of repairs am I looking at, and what may be the long term consequences of this condition?

Reply to
wolfriend

================================================================ I had a 91 Bronco 4WD with an E4OD trans. It started shuddering when the converter locked up. I changed the fluid and filter, and the shuddering went away. I sold the truck to a friend and now 2 years later, no shudder. Give it a try---It's cheaper than a converter replacement.

*** RON ***

======================================================== Remove the ZZZ from my E-mail address to send me E-mail.

Reply to
Ron in NY

You probably have the 4R70W transmission. This transmission, among others, is succeptible to shudder when the transmission fluid isn't maintained regularly, i.e. replaced. That's exactly where I'd start.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Reply to
Dave Lee

There's a sticker (placard) on the door jamb that will have a transmission code on it. You can then search online to see what the code means for your year. Sometimes the owner's manual will explain the codes for the transmission and/ or axle in the towing section since they help determine the towing limits.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

"wolfriend" wrote: > Hi ... I just required a 96 F150 2WD 170K miles, and it seems > to have > a shudder(best as I can describe) when the converter locks > (about45mph) and is getting worse. what kind of repairs am I > looking > at, and what may be the long term consequences of this > condition?

Sounds like converter clutch is getting thin and chattering on engagement. At very least you will need to replace converter.

Reply to
SnoMan