F250 4x4 hubs

Anybody got any thoughts on replacing the front wheel hub locks on a 2000 F250 4x4? The rubber o-ring in left front lock has squeezed its way out, and I consequently cannot turn the lock. The previous owner apparently also used pliers to turn the lock, so it is consequently "all boogered up." A replacement Ford OEM lock costs arouind $250. Warn has a cheaper set, but it requires that I "plug" the vacuum line. I'm hesitant to modify something critical to the operation of the truck - i.e., the wheels. Also, if anyone knows, in the event I do go with the Warn locks, what would I use to plug the vacuum line? TIA.

Reply to
Robert C. Denny

Regarding plugging the vacuum line, I don't think I would go so far as to call it "critical to the operation of the truck".

All it will do is disable the "automatic" part of the 4x4 hub system. When the system is working properly, turning the 4x4 knob on the dash electrically shifts the transfer case and sends vacuum to lock the hubs. By disabling the vacuum portion, the only change is you have to get out and lock your hubs manually........ which is what you really need to do anyway whenever you REALLY want to make sure you are in four wheel drive.

As for plugging the line, I'm not sure what would be needed. I haven't looked at mine yet. If it is a regular vacuum hose, you can find plugs at most autoparts stores. I'm guessing Warn could give you a hint too. (Might the parts be included in the hub kit?)

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4 (also with vacuum assist hub problems)
Reply to
Matt Mead