F250 Diesel Owners - What's your gas milage?

I'm thinking of buying an F250 and getting the diesel version since I hear they get better gas milage.

Thanks, Randy

Reply to
Randal Smith

You will get 6000 different answers because there are that many different uses and configurations.

  1. What are you towing?
  2. What gears do you want?
  3. What type of terrain?
  4. How heavy is your foot?
  5. And one last thing, Diesels don't use gas!

Jerry P

Reply to
Jerry P

They don't get better gas mileage. They don't use gas.

Reply to
Tyrone

Randy - my 2004 F350 PS crew cab, short bed, 4WD (stock 265/75R16 Pirelli tires) is getting an average of 17 to 18 - combination road and town. I have a light foot though. This is without towing anything and with only

3000 miles on the engine. At 5000 miles, it is going to get Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic in it - I'm hoping to push it to at least 20 mpg.

Don

Reply to
Don

If the MPG is the most important, then get a 4x2, stick, SRW, Regular cab. After that, anything will reduce your mileage.

Reply to
Mellowed

A friend has a 5 or 6 year old 2wd diesel F350, he sais his mileage went from 17 to 20 after installing a K&N cloth type air filter.

Reply to
emcook

Yikes. I had a K&N on my Jeep and tossed it when I notices a film of dust in the intake tube after the filter. Yes, it was maintained properly. And knowing how finicky diesels and their turbos are with dust, seems like he might be needing a rebuild much sooner than is necessary all for the sake of

3mpg savings, which I am skeptical about anyway.
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

My F250 2WD gets 19 when driven hard. I can't drive it "easy" I suspect it would get 20 then. Towing my 12,000# 5th wheel, it gets about 9 or 10. at 65 MPH.

YMMV

Peter & Anne-Marie Arnold Windsor, CT '95 F250 W/PSD {161 Kmi}

31 Ft Prowler Fifth Wheel NCT # 13390, The Masonic Campers

Reply to
Peter T. Arnold

I have a 99 F-250, diesel, crew cab, 4WD. I get about 16 around town. If I am towing (28 ft horse trailer) and running at about 70-80 MPH, I get about

  1. The rear end makes a lot of difference in the mileage as well as your right foot! Susan Ravan
Reply to
Susan Ravan

Reply to
James Gemmill

What kind of mileage do you get when you exceed the 10 MPH you stated?

Reply to
Tyrone

there should be a big jump in mileage from 10 mph to highway speeds

Reply to
jason