F250 eating vacuum pumps, words of wisdom?

Hey folks, The problem child here is a 1999 F250 turbo diesel 4x4 with about 120k on the clock.

The electric vacuum pump blew a couple of fuses and then finally went out a week or so ago and we got a used one to replace it. The 'new' pump was tested before we left the yard, and it seemed to work. When installed it ran up once or twice then died. Died completely. The fuse has been checked and is ok.

Has anoyme else run up agtainst this problem? If so what is the solution you have come up with. It needs to be repaired because it's 90+ degrees and the AC isn't working.

TIA

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I don't know if I should add this, as I am not sure of it's relivance BUT In the last year this truck has ALSO blown the 4WD shift motor (still has not been replaced since last winter) , the same week that the vacuum pump went out it blew the lock actuator in the driver's side door. I replaced the actuator, it is working fine. I don't recall if they both went on the same day.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

It sounds like you got a bad pump from the junk yard. Nothing unusual there.

Reply to
Al Bundy

They gave us another one today, we did not test it this time like we did the last one. I have no idea why. I was hoping that we could find some diagnostics before we installed and potentially blew another one. The ONLY yard we could find is over an hour away from us. A pain to keep driving there for this little stuff.

Fortunately, today the Tech service CD that I ordered came in. With luck it will help us find the problem.

Reply to
SVTKate

How much would a NEW one cost? Sounds like you might be catching up on that...

Make sure your electrical system is health and is NOT killing your electrical components.

Reply to
351CJ

"351CJ" snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote : How much would a NEW one cost? Sounds like you might be catching up on : that...

We had to get a few other things last time, so it was more than practical. This time we would have gotten more than one thing too, if he had it.

: Make sure your electrical system is health and is NOT killing your : electrical components. :

I agree 100% BUT how do you go about doing that???? What steps to check it?

It seems that electrical is why you don't buy british cars. I wonder how my insurance company would feel if the truck had an all over electrical fire.

Reply to
SVTKate

| It seems that electrical is why you don't buy british cars.

Ironically, my British cars have had less electrical problems than a 74 F250 I purchased about a year or two ago. Easier to fix, too. Go figure. I'm an electrician and do take as good care of the electrical system as I do the rest of the vehicle's systems, though.

| I wonder how my insurance company would feel if the truck had an all over | electrical fire.

You need to make sure the fire started with burnt up wiring at the ignition switch, assuming that your truck was one of those problem years!

Reply to
carl mciver

I was just teasing Carl. I have to sleep at night, and insurance fraud would surely keep me awake.

I just remembered that "back in the day" the electrical system was the supposed achilles heel of the British car. Not as if I REALLY had a clue about what I was saying.

Reply to
SVTKate

just a thought.......egr valve ?

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Hi Henry, Thank you but I am told it does not have an egr valve. :)

Kate

: > The electric vacuum pump blew a couple of fuses and then finally went out : > a : > week or so ago and we got a used one to replace it. The 'new' pump was : > tested before we left the yard, and it seemed to work. When installed it : > ran : > up once or twice then died. Died completely. The fuse has been checked and : > is ok. : >

: > Has anoyme else run up agtainst this problem? If so what is the solution : > you : > have come up with. : > It needs to be repaired because it's 90+ degrees and the AC isn't working. : >

: > TIA : >

: > Kate : >

: >

: :

Reply to
SVTKate

Okay, something different. Have you checked your supply to make sure you aren't getting low voltage to the pump? Some machinery will burn itself up when running on low voltage. If you have a low voltage problem I'd split the system between the fuse and the pump and work towards the source of the voltage drop. Don't forget the ground connection, which all to commonly overlooked. I've seen on other vehicles where when the fuse burned up, it did so by slow overheating, which can cook the fuse block and the connections, leading to corrosion and a weak connection, thus dropping voltage and causing a new set of symptoms elsewhere.

Reply to
carl mciver

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 09:20:50 -0400, Henry rearranged some electrons to form:

It's a diesel.

Reply to
David M

: > Henry : : It's a diesel. :

Some of us don't know any better Davie. myself included.

*chanting* it's not my truck, it's not my truck, it's not my truck. It's my husband's truck.

If it were MY truck, it would be an F150 4x4 extended cab, short bed with a gas engine

Reply to
SVTKate

"carl mciver" snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com wrote : Okay, something different. Have you checked your supply to make sure : you aren't getting low voltage to the pump? Some machinery will burn itself : up when running on low voltage. If you have a low voltage problem I'd split : the system between the fuse and the pump and work towards the source of the : voltage drop. Don't forget the ground connection, which all to commonly : overlooked. : I've seen on other vehicles where when the fuse burned up, it did so by : slow overheating, which can cook the fuse block and the connections, leading : to corrosion and a weak connection, thus dropping voltage and causing a new : set of symptoms elsewhere.

Thank you Carl, I will pass it along. He is going to work on it his morning and if he finds anything I will be sure to post it.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

The 6.0 liter Ford power stroke diesel has been using Exhaust-Gas Recirculation (EGR), hence an EGR valve since 2003...

Reply to
351CJ

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:10:07 +0000, 351CJ rearranged some electrons to form:

Oh, OK. Didn't know that. Not suprised, though, I guess the emissions requirements are getting tougher to meet every year.

Reply to
David M

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:56:23 +0000, SVTKate rearranged some electrons to form:

Not surprising, emissions requirements will catch up with everything eventually.

Reply to
David M

"David M" snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote : : >

: > : > Henry : > : : > : It's a diesel. : > : : >

: > Some of us don't know any better Davie. myself included. : >

: Not surprising, emissions requirements will catch up : with everything eventually. : : -- : David M (dmacchiarolo) :

T/S 53 : sled351 Linux 2.4.18-14 has been up 24 days 21:26

Emissions were never the issue. Where we live there is not yet any emission testing. The ability to tow a heavy boat (25 ft cabin cruiser) and haul heavy loads was what mattered. Like this spring, we made several trips to the quarry, every trip the truck haumes between 1.8 and 2.1 TONS of stones.

It's a work horse.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

: >> just a thought.......egr valve ? : >>

: >> Henry : >

: > It's a diesel. : : The 6.0 liter Ford power stroke diesel has been using Exhaust-Gas : Recirculation (EGR), hence an EGR valve since 2003... :

it's a 1999

Reply to
SVTKate

"SVTKate" snipped-for-privacy@whatever.complaint.dept> wrote : "carl mciver" snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com wrote :: Okay, something different. Have you checked your supply to make sure :: you aren't getting low voltage to the pump? Some machinery will burn : itself :: up when running on low voltage. If you have a low voltage problem I'd : split :: the system between the fuse and the pump and work towards the source of : the :: voltage drop. Don't forget the ground connection, which all to commonly :: overlooked. :: I've seen on other vehicles where when the fuse burned up, it did so by :: slow overheating, which can cook the fuse block and the connections, : leading :: to corrosion and a weak connection, thus dropping voltage and causing a : new :: set of symptoms elsewhere. : : Thank you Carl, I will pass it along. : He is going to work on it his morning and if he finds anything I will be : sure to post it. : : Kate :

Hey Carl, it is running at 15.2 and the specs say from 14. something to 15.5 is allowable. So it is seemed ok by 'the boss'

Thanks though!

Reply to
SVTKate