F250 - 'remote' ignition / advice / suggestions

Cheers,

I have a 1995 F-250 wAuto Trans & 4WD. I was thinking about treating my wife this Christmas to one of those: "remote" ignition add ons. Where she can start the pickup in our driveway from right outside the back door of our house.

Anybody have any: Experience Advice Suggestions.

I saw one "kit" advertised for about $80.

Talked to one fellow, installed one on another vehicle... said he wouldn't do it again.

???

Thanks in advance

Reply to
datadr77

I have a remote ignition system installed by the dealer on my new 2003 EB Expedition, works great if your truck is parked within 50 ft of where you are standing, longer distances depend on other cars standing and line os sight. I guess it depends on which system is installed. But it sure is nice on a cold morning...

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Have a DEI Hornet 555T installed in mine. Works great and have had no problems with it. This model also incorporates an alarm system into it. Only bad part is I didn`t have them tie the remote keypad (Added to door) into the system. If I open the door that way it sets the alarm off. There is no problem with the remotes working .I get a lot better signal off mine and can start it from about 200ft away easily. Have not tried farther than that yet. On something like this cheaper is not always better........... Something else to remember on these. If you want a nice toasty vehicle in the morning down forget to set the heater controls to heat/defrost in the truck the night before. Remote start will start the truck but wont auto turn your heat on for you.

Reply to
FordStyle

That's a mighty-fine Christmas present for the misses. If she doesn't have a plow for the truck, I bet she'd like one of those, too. :-)

Reply to
XLanManX

Unless you know how to install the remote add on let a pro do it for you . Also get a good brand name remote that will not give you any problems later on . I had one added to my 2002 F250 diesel and it works great so far . I did pay in the $$ hundreds and the auto door locks were part of the system that is all under warranty for as long as I own the truck and he will remove it for the next truck I get some day . They are great for warm ups if it is cool outside . If you use the system on a diesel make sure the delay start time is set to give the glow plugs time to shut off before starting . You will enjoy the auto start and your wife will enjoy it also . Fox.

datadr77 wrote:

Reply to
silverfox

Reply to