F350 7.3L diesel bleeding question

Hello all,

I have a 93 F350 with the 7.3 diesel engine, and am ready to change out

the coolant. I have read that after draining the block and radiator of

antifreeze, you need to bleed the system while refilling it. The instructions I read say that while filling, you need to disconnect the top hose from the water pump (the one that goes to the heater core) and

reconnect it once coolant begins to come out of the pump.

I was wondering if anyone had more information on this step - is it necessary, and if so, is there a way to avoid doing so? For example, if I left the coolant in the block, and only drained the radiator, would that let me avoid having to disconnect the water pump hose while refilling?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 01:59:01 -0700, Chris rearranged some electrons to form:

Yes, but then you leave half of the old coolant in the block. Kind of defeats the purpose of changing the coolant.

Reply to
David M

The real question is if you have the correct info why are on this forum asking if it's OK to do a halfass job. I think you should drain and refill your brain pan but only the lower half, you know, the part you sit on. HHHHAAA

Reply to
monkeyboy via CarKB.com

Monkeyboy not only do you hand out alot of good info, you're also one funny hit the nail on the head kind of guy. Often wonder how some of these tweekers actually figured out how to get on line.

Reply to
fordtech via CarKB.com

Wow, and you're both here via CarKB.com.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Hi David,

I was hoping I could follow the "ultra short" version of how to clean out the system, as described on

Ultra short version courtesy of Steve Pepin:

1) Open the fill cap and drain the system through the petcock. 2) Refill with fresh water to the capacity of the system. 3) Turn on the heater and run the engine until normal operating temperature is reached. 4) Turn off the engine. 5) Repeat steps 1 through 4 until all the water comes out clear. 6) Drain the system through the petcock. There will probably be water in the reservoir -- don't worry. 7) Calculate the correct amount of coolant for the proper mixture and pour it in. 8) Fill the rest of the way with clear water. 9) Run the engine to normal operating temperature and top off the system with water. 10) Add the correct level of additive. 11) Enjoy the rest of your day.

My main question had to do with whether you really have to remove the water pump hose to avoid air pockets in the system, or if that is just incorrect advice. The hose is a pain to take off, and if I can follow the steps above, I don't mind the extra drain/fill cycles involved.

Reply to
Chris

If you drain the rad, it will drain the block as well. Pulling the hose of just gives the air that gets in the system a place to vent as your filling the cooling system. If getting the hose off is a pain, why not put a flush tee in the line?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

"aarcuda69062" snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote >

Good call, nonelson! Some of these "monkey" posters are just teenage spammers and need to create their own fake support posts.

Reply to
Herb Ludwig

Reply to
Chris