fan belt tensioner/fan clutch 97 f250

anyone know how to release the belt tensioner on a 97 PSD? Fan clutch seems to be a problem to get off, I have removed them before on a 86 but this one is a problem.

Anyone help is good even where I can go to find this on the web. thanks dave

Reply to
liteflyer 1

The tensioning pulley is the one directly below the generator. Using a breaker bar and socket or a ratchet and socket, or a box wrench simply place on the bolt that is on the end of the shaft that the tensioning pulley rotates on. Trying to tighten this bolt will cause the pulley to move away from the belt, releasing the tension on the serpentine belt. With the belt removed from it's path, S_L_O_W_L_Y release the tension. Make sure the grooved serpentine belt is positioned properly in all pulleys when reinstalling.

Reply to
GW Bush

Thanks, I tried it and it works. Others had told me there was a spot to insert a 1/2 breaker bar, but I could not find it. What you said works fine. Now I just have to get the water pump out and back in.

Reply to
liteflyer 1