fast idle on 1999 ranger

I have a 1999 ranger 4x4 4.0ltr 5spd and it idles fast (between 1500 and

2000 rpm) for 10 seconds or so after clutching it at stoplights / stop signs etc

Theres not much consistencey though, it idles high at different rpm for different lengths of time every time, before eventually settling back down to about 800rpm. I have owned it since November and its only started happening in last 6 weeks or so. It is of course all computer controlled so I carnt adjust anything myself.

The question is - is a normal thing now that the weather is warm or should I take it to ford and spend a few hundred bucks having them read fault codes?

Reply to
Andyt

Clean the MAF sensor (in the intake tube between the air filter and throttle body) and reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes. Be sure to use a throttle body cleaner, not carb cleaner.

Reply to
gw

mass air flow is right infront of the butterfly yeah? Or is it in the black plastic portion of the intake? I'll give it a go at the weekend. Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Andyt

MAF is just past the air cleaner housing in the black tube. You'll need a security torx bit to get it out.

Reply to
gw

got one - I'll let you know how it goes.

Reply to
Andyt