Flashing O/D light on 2002 F250

Can anyone tell me if the O/D light was flashing and is ok after I stopped the motor and restarted again ? One dealer said if it works fine now it should be ok . One other dealer said all seems well now but I should still get it looked at. If the dealer puts it on the scope will the problem show ??. Fox .

Reply to
r.catherwood

It is not OK, the light came on for a reason. I have a 2001 250 (7.3L PSD) and had the same problem. I took the truck to Ford, they scanned it, no code and did a flush and fill. The tranny worked OK for about 100 miles, then started acting up again. The Ford scan tool may show a code but I was not able to get any other tool to show any codes. It may be a solenoid or it may be slipping clutch disks or it may be a number of other items.

I had already made an appointment at BTS

to have Brian rebuild my tranny. I drove the 850 miles MI-AR and had the light come on during the drive, when Brian tore the tranny down to rebuild it he was surprised that it got me to his shop. The clutch packs had no friction material left or the material that was left was burnt black from the slipping.

If it turns out that your tranny is in need of replacement/rebuild take a look at BTS. I added up the cost from the dealer to R&R the tranny and then the cost for a BTS tranny (including fuel, food and hotel) and even with the extras came out approx $500 ahead. Brian also swapped out the stock Ford PSD cooler (small) for a stock Ford V10 cooler (large). The total cost at BTS was just over $4200 (including tax, fluid, cooler and rebuild). The dealer wanted $3400 for the tranny alone then add in installation (12 hrs), tax, fluid, cooler and misc shop supplies.

The truck drives better now than it did when new, I wish I had done the swap earlier.

Reply to
Scott Campbell

If the truck is still under warranty, I'd find a Ford dealer that's able to tell you what the problem is (there definitely is one somewhere). Don't let them drag it out until the warranty has expired- it will be very costly to repair when it finally goes. Tom F.

Reply to
Tom F.

Could have put a jasper in for $1900. You did get a 3 yr / 75,000 mile warranty didn't you? BTW, R&R trans assembly is not 12 hours. Not even on a 4x4.

Reply to
Steve Barker

That (12 hrs) is what the dealer quoted as a flat time to replace the tranny with a "new" one. Brian removed the tranny, rebuilt it and installed it in

10 hrs by himself.

Reply to
Scott Campbell

My O/D Lite flashed and 100miles later the Front Pump disintegrated , which required a total overhaul and new TC.

LS

Reply to
Larry Starr

Reply to
coryrhonda

Reply to
silverfox

what was the code ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

what was the code ?

Larry Starr wrote:

My O/D Lite flashed and 100miles later the Front Pump disintegrated , which required a total overhaul and new TC.

LS

Reply to
Scott Campbell

Reply to
silverfox

Hello;

P 0783 = '3-4 shift error'

This is kind of a generic catch-all code, which means that the ECM commanded the shift, but did not see the expected ratio within a programmed time frame

could be anything from a solenoid leaking to a valve hanging up to actual slippage to the MLPS (manual lever position switch) giving a flakey reading at that time

if it's shifting OK now, I'd just drive it

if it happens again, then is the time to start troubleshooting it

Hope this helps

TranSurgeon

Reply to
silverfox

Reply to
silverfox

Reply to
silverfox

The wire insulation from the O/D switch control may have rubbed bare inside the steering column creating an intermittent ground. The transmission will rapidly shift in and out of overdrive at speed. This happened to a friend's Ranger, the symptom was as you desribe and the damage to the transmission was extensive. If he had fixed the short immediately the damage would have been avoided.

regards

r.catherwood wrote:

Reply to
Messenger

Reply to
silverfox

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:02:22 -0500, silverfox rearranged some electrons to form:

Get it scanned to see if there are any codes set perhaps?

Reply to
David M

The wire insulation from the O/D switch control may have rubbed bare inside the steering column creating an intermittent ground. The transmission will rapidly shift in and out of overdrive at speed. This happened to a friend's Ranger, the symptom was as you desribe and the damage to the transmission was extensive. If he had fixed the short immediately the damage would have been avoided.

regards

r.catherwood wrote: Can anyone tell me if the O/D light was flashing and is ok after I stopped the motor and restarted again ? One dealer said if it works fine now it should be ok . One other dealer said all seems well now but I should still get it looked at. If the dealer puts it on the scope will the problem show ??. Fox .

Reply to
Messenger