Flashing Overdrive light

2 Questions, both concerning a Full-size 91 F250 Diesel 4X4:

First is that I got the truck back from an acquaintance with the overdrive light flashing. He was towing a trailer and I have a suspicion that he ran the truck with the overdrive on through a couple mountain passes.

In reading the posts, it seems that this is a caused by a built in sensor. Is there any way that I can "reset" the light to make sure that it has a problem? Can I get a code reader and diagnose the problem myself? Does anyone else have a suggestion for someone on a very small budget?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
whoopi

I had the same problem with my 2002 f250 diesel last year on the way back to Canada . Soon as I could we pulled over to check the tranny oil , but it was ok ?. Before we stopped the tranny was working as it should but the light was flashing and it would not stop as I pulled over .I turned the truck off to look some more under the hood . After 10 min I restarted the truck and every thing looked ok . I looked for the flashing light and it was out ?. When I got home I took it to the Ford dealer to see why the light was on and after the test and $70.00 they said it was ok .One year later now and it seems fine ?. Good luck . Fox .

Reply to
silverfox

Disconnect the battery for about 30 seconds. It will reset the computer and wipe out the codes. The most likely reason for the flashing would have been an overheat situation from slippage caused by the tranny repeatedly shifting gears. Generally, the tranny will go into protection mode and pressure will be increased to force a faster shift thus lowering the amount of slippage. When this happens, you will usually experience a harsh shift because of the increased pressure and quicker shift.

Reply to
.