Flashing "Theft" light, engine won't start 2003 F-150

Hopefully someone may have an idea what is going on...

It has happened several times in the past but not when taken to dealership (no error codes showed up). Basically this happens:

We go to start truck and the odometer doesn't light up, theft light flashes rapidly (as do several other lights in the instrument cluster), gauges "flicker" and truck will turn over but not start. Have checked fuses, all seem ok. A couple of times we have unhooked the battery and left it sit for a few minutes and when reconnected etc it starts ok and runs normally. no flashing lights etc.

On one occasion the theft light etc and gauges started to act up while the truck was driving but the truck still ran ok. When it was stopped and shut down it seemed ok and restarted fine. A couple weeks later it does it again.

Dealership was no help, had no idea.

Anyone with any suggestions or similar experience?

Thanks, Mick

Reply to
mick

Similar happenings but on our Chrysler Town/Country 1997 vintage. The problem started about three or four years back. Initially, the dealership replaced the BCM (Body Control Module) probably called something different on the F150. After replacing a couple of them, they decided that it wasn't the cause but rather a symptom. They never have found out what is causing it. Subsequently, a mechanic friend of my son said that the problem lies in the instrument cluster itself. At least on the Chrysler, the connections on the cluster are some sort of plastic and they have a tendency to not make good contact after some years of service. The symptoms you describe are identical to mine, including the "let is sit for a few minutes or maybe a few hours" and it starts and runs fine. May not happen again for months or minutes. Once when it malfunctioned, I rapped it solidly over the instrument cluster and voila, it started to work correctly. One other thing I noticed was that if the odometer does not cycle correctly when the key is turned - it is not going to work correctly. I loose gauges, some lights, tach, and speedo..... No solutions but a place to start.... Good luck...

DaveD

Reply to
Dave D

Thanks DaveD, will give that a shot!