Flex section of tailpipe

I have a 1995 Club Wagon (E-150) van. Aft of the Catalytic converter (between cat and muffler) there is a section of flex pipe. (It look like one of the old finger tricks). It's leaking and making noise.

This section of pipe is $109. Looking in the parts books at the part store, I saw that the F-150 of the same year does not use a flex pipe.

Can I get a piece of solid 2-1/2 inch pipe and make a replacement and save the $100?? Is the flex needed for some reason on a van??

Reply to
jman

The flex is there to reduce vibrations from the extended length of the van exhaust. You can replace it with a straight piece and probably won't notice it, but it does make a little difference.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Why not just go to the local Mom & Pop Muffler Shop and have them do a flexectomy? They will be able to fix up your '95 Club Van in a jiffy, and they can tell you other exhaust parts that are on the brink of failure. I gotta think that the flex pipe is the first of many exhaust problems, and you may as well get them handled all at once.

I'm not sure, but I think Pep Boys (a very large parts retailer in my area) carries the flex pipe you need, if you insist on doing this repair on your own. (I'm not dissing you, I've come to hate exhaust repairs, and found that the local Mom&Pop does stuff I can't justify doing on my own anymore.)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I was going to say the same thing, although they will charge you something. Around here it wouldn't be $109, I don't think, but it might still be $50.

Reply to
Joe