Fluid Types for Ford F250 Super Duty Desiel

Does any one know what ford uses as far as fluids go. I have a Ford F-250 SD 2006 with Diesel Engine. I have a small leak somewhere up front and I believe its power Steering Fluid due to the color and the reservoir is lowering slowly as well. Can I use any type of Powering Steering Fluid or should I find a certain type at one of the auto parts stores that is similar to fords type.

I am also looking at Transmission, Break and engine oil types that are the best. I like to do my own work when I can and changing fluids is one unless there is complications on doing it your self. LOL

Engine Oil Type Power Steering Fluid Type Transmission Fluid Break Fluid

Thanks.

Reply to
Krusty

I'm top posting cause of the formatting.

For power steering, its mercon trans fluid.

For the trans its Mercon Trans Fluid..

Oil is whatever 15W40 oil you want to use. If its cold out, you can go down to a 10W30, but only if its really cold (around 30*F mid day). Make sure it conforms to API CJ on the bottle. Most manufacturers of lubricants are up to par on this. Needs changed every 3,000mi due to the HUEI system in the engine. It uses High Pressure oil to actuate the injectors, and that oil comes from the oil in the sump. FILL THE NEW OIL FILTER BEFORE INSTALLING, OR IT WILL DIE!!!

Brake fluid is DOT3 fluid.

I am also looking at Transmission, Break and engine oil types that are the best. I like to do my own work when I can and changing fluids is one unless there is complications on doing it your self. LOL

Engine Oil Type Power Steering Fluid Type Transmission Fluid Break Fluid

Thanks.

Reply to
Ford Tech

If it's leaking, then take it back and get it fixed.

Reply to
Steve Barker

2006 with Diesel Engine. I have a small leak somewhere up front and I believe its power Steering Fluid due to the color and the reservoir is lowering slowly as well. Can I use any type of Powering Steering Fluid or should I find a certain type at one of the auto parts stores that is similar to fords type.

best. I like to do my own work when I can and changing fluids is one unless there is complications on doing it your self. LOL

Ford fluids are supplied under contract. The supplier can change any time. You owners manual will list the specification for each and every fluid recommendation. It is up to the owner to decide what brand and which product best matches the vehicle's operating conditions. As far as which brands ant types are best, that will draw as many opinions as there are responders to the questions. The best thing to do is see what is readily available in a quality name brand product and use it. Many here will recommend and use only top line synthetics but, I have never been able to find the economic benefit of synthetic engine oils that must be changed at the same interval as regular lubricants to maintain warranty. If you do that, your Diesel should have no problem outliving the truck body with average run of the mill oil. Most people get tired of the truck and need a new smell long before lubricant related problems become a problem.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Thank you Kind sir.

Reply to
Krusty

Will that be covered under the warranty or do you think the will charge me for it.

Reply to
Krusty

That is always good to know Hopefully mine will out live the truck as well. Thanks.

Reply to
Krusty
3 year 36,000 miles - See your dealer for limited-warranty details - It is covered! Even your headlight bulbs are covered... Depending on what is leaking, Ford also offers a five-year, 100,000-mile warranty on its 6.0-liter Power Stroke diesel engine - See your dealer for limited-warranty details...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

Opinions can differ but, what I stated is what FORD uses in those locations.

You notice I did NOT specify a brand name other than MERCON for the trans and p/s fluid. The reason for that is becuase in order for a manufacturer to put that on their label, they have to meet Ford standards, or beat them. And actually its currently Mercon IV not just Mercon trans fluid. Ford has also changed over to Mercon V this last year, and is currently using all of its stock of Mercon IV. For the 2007 MY, Mercon V is the only fluid authorized for use by dealers for warranty repairs.

But like Lugnut said, the manufacturer is up to you. I recommend Wal-Mart SuperTech. Yeah its extremely inexpensive, but they are also spec'd out to be some of the best lubricants out there.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Wal-mart flat out sucks period. Personal opinion based on a few million miles in big rigs over 30 years, as well as time spent under the hoods for a living, Chevron Delo 400 or if not available Shell Rotella for engine oil. The only thing Wally world is speced out to be is cheap. Tranny fluid, gear lube, greases Kendall. Gas engine motor oil, Kendall GTX

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

unless you've managed to rack up 36,000 miles already then it's warranty. don't you know the terms of the basic ford warranty? Did you buy an extended warranty? It's your truck, not mine.

Reply to
Steve Barker

How can you fill the oil filter canister when it's designed to drain when the cap is removed??

Every time I've changed the oil on my '05 Powerstroke Excursion, I never pre-filled the oil filter canister, because it drains until you replace the cap. It never once died on post-change start-up.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo