Fluids low from the factory.

I just did my second oil change on my `04 Ranger. I opened up the fill plugs for the transfer, and front & rear diff. to check the levels. I got a shock. The transfer case was 1/2 a quart low. Pretty low when you consider it only holds 1.25 quarts. The rear diff. was almost at least 1.5 quarts down, it only holds 2.5. And I do not know how the hell they managed this, but when I pulled the plug on the front diff. nearly a 1/2 quart fell on the ground. It should hold about 1.5. Maybe they are assembling these things on there side, ergonomics maybe? I bought a new truck this time around cause I am getting tired of dinking around with these things. It is an outrage to think that these people are putting these things together with LESS, and in some case MORE than what they themselves recommend. It used to be that when I bought a used truck the first thing I would do is change all the fluids. It is really sad to know that from now on I have to do the same with something right off the show room floor, cause I wonder if they are also using SUBSTANDARD fluids. I should have bought a Toyota. Next time I will, but rest assured I will drain and fill everything just after a test drive.

Reply to
lmnop

"lmnop" had writtennews:3FZEd.35087$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.mlpsca.us.to.verio.net:

If this was your second oil change, I would assume the first was not by the factory.

I see not much changes, however. I bought a new car in 1985 to discover NO oil in the overdrive. The dealer added oil when I brought it in at the point the OD stopped working. They claimed there would be no problems. They were right because I had no problem trading it in for something else.

Reply to
Barney

TIC

Yep, that static electricity will get ya every time.

Hmmm..I wonder how you measure what has fallen on the ground.

It should hold

Wouldn't be surprised.

Then why did you? Next time take it to Jiffy Lube.

It is an outrage to think that these people are

Well, I certainly feel outraged just reading your post.

Good idea.

It is really sad to know that from now on I have to

SUBSTANDARD fluids from the factory has always been a major concern. Yes, I agree, you should be very worried. If it were me, I wouldn't drive that truck again until I'd replaced ALL the fluids. Don't forget the washer bottle.

I, personally, produce and refine all my own oil. Can't trust those oil companies not to put something SUBSTANDARD in those bottles, regardless of what the label says. H

Reply to
Hairy

This is normal for just about all manufactures. They ship with the bare minimum of fluids and then the dealer is "supposed" to top all fluids on the service in of the vehicle. So I would say the problem is your dealer and not Ford.

Jerry P

Reply to
Jerry P

Yes the dealer is supposed to check fluids. Isn't that why you pay for dealer prep?

Reply to
Pete

Reply to
lmnop

Reply to
lmnop

Reply to
lmnop

"Jerry P" had writtennews:d23Fd.8390$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

These vehicles are driven off the boats. Ford is saving a few dollars for every car they make and sending the responsibility to the dealer. Ford or the dealer shouldn't make the differance. Both are making a few bucks of the consumer.

Reply to
Barney

My last Ford truck was built in Kansas, must have been one hell of a boat ride to get it over the Rockies to Utah...

DJ

Reply to
DJ

c-rowboat

Reply to
FossilButt

up the Rio Grande, over Wolf Creek Pass, then down the San Juan ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Yeah, no kidding. Mine was built in Kentucky...

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

DJ had writtennews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Train then! Or did you drive it home from the factory with low oil in it's running gear?

Reply to
Barney

Mine came off a truck.

Jerry P

Reply to
Jerry P

In regards to my post of the low fluids and the suggestion of SUBSTANDARD FLUID. I just received in the mail what Ford calls "Customer Satisfaction Program #04B22". It seems the transmission fluid in ALL 2004 Fords with 5R55S,5R55E,5R44E, and SOME 2005 Automatic Transmissions IS SUBSTANDARD. And they are offering to put in additive to correct the problem. "A bottle of 5R55S/E & 5R44E transmission fluid additive". I don't know about you all, but I want to know what the problem with the fluid was so that I can think of correcting it myself. Did they use Mercon, and not Mercon "V". It sounds like they are only offering this "fix" until March 31 `05. Anybody who knows any more details, I would appreciate the info.

You should feel unvalidated HAIRY

Reply to
lmnop

On the contrary............

This just confirms my thoughts about you. H

Reply to
Hairy

"Jerry P" had writtennews:JPTFd.15248$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

I guess where I live it would be prohibitive to send them from the factory by truck. I guess they are never run at all until they reach the dealer where you live. Here they drive on and off the trains and then drive them again off and on the trucks. I didn't by my Ford new but when I do, I certainly will not buy from a dealer. Spending that kind of money and find out they are to cheap to put enough oil in it.

Reply to
Barney