Ford 2.9 Ranger Cylinder Heads

Hi,

We bought a Ford Ranger 2.9 V6 pick up truck and have had nothing but trouble ever since. We have had the heads skimmed, but now been advised that we need 2 new cylinder heads. It is an American truck and we need help to find out where we can get these from or whether to get our old one's reconditioned. We would be greatful for any advice. Thanks Lee

Reply to
lee

I may be able to help. I would think your best action would be to have someone in the states pick up 2 used heads and have them reconditioned here, and shipped to you.

I deal with salvage yards and machine shops all the time, if you want i can lok into this for you. Drop me an e-mail at (remove DONTSPAM) snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com

dave master mechanic

Reply to
djdave

The engine is actually made in Germany, although I don't know if the heads are interchangeable with heads from vehicles sold in Europe (I suspect they are). Why did you have the head "skimmed" in the first place? Given the way the intake manifold and heads fit together on this engine to form the valve cover sealing surface, that seems like a reciepe for disaster. We owned two Rangers with that engine and they were very reliable and completely trouble free.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Finding any good used heads will be your biggest problem. I could not find one used set in Texas that wasn't cracked. There is a company that makes new castings, but I don't recall the name. The bottom line is, you won't find a used head that isn't cracked. If you buy a rebuild, only buy from the Ford house. They have them, but they have probably been welded. You might luck out on the heads if the vehicle was mainly driven in cooler climates. Went through all of this once; it wasn't fun. Ron

Reply to
R&B

A few years ago, World Products was manufacturing replacement heads for the Ford 2.9L V6. Don't know if they're still making 'em. You might get lucky and find some "previously-owned" World heads. Check the on-line auction sites. Good luck.

Reply to
klutz