Ford 2003 F250 with 6.0 diesel leaks anti-freeze when cold

Howdy,

Ford 2003 F250 with 6.0 diesel leaks anti-freeze when cold. Looks like it's coming from the back of the engine by the block. Can sit for days without being operated, and then just starts to leak. Had it into Ford and they changed the thermostat gasket. Said it was leaking. Four days later the same thing, starts to leak when cold. Took to another mechanic shop who pressure tested and no leaks. Again 4 days later starts to leak after sitting for a day and a half. It's in my driveway that has a slight incline. That's where it seems to leak. It's not an everyday leak. Drove it while it was leaking, parked it and now 4 days after being parked and not run, it starts leaking again! WTF?

Anybody have any idea about this? I'm at a loss here!

Reply to
The Seabat

What side of the engine? I know nothing about diesel engines. A freeze plug can have a pin-hole leak and then act strange. Eventually, they fail with a more pronound leak.

Reply to
Oren

I had 1 with the leak at the rear of the engine on the curb side. My mechanic said he could fix it 2 different ways. Tear the engine down and replace the gaskets and freeze plugs or put in 1 stop leak tablet. I chose the stop leak and never had another leak as long as I owned the truck.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

My guess. A hose connecting to the heater core. Maybe a nick in the pipe allowing a cold leak as the hose gets less flexible.

Reply to
Mike H

You need to have the mechanic pressure test the cooling system while the engine is dead cold. If he finds nothing check then check the cap and recovery system for leaks.

Reply to
tomcas

Yup, Ford left the truck on the pressure tester thingie overnight. Don't know iffn they checked the cap, though.

Reply to
The Seabat

There is a short special hose under the turbo, in the engine valley, that connects to the EGR cooler. If this hose leaks, it usually shows up as a drip down the rear of the engine on the passenger side. Very common on that motor.

Bill

Reply to
Pounds on Wood