Ford 460 Question

I am lookig at a 1960 Ford F100 with Big Block 460, 750cfm Carter Carb and a 410 ford 9inch rear end. The owner says it idles poor when the fuel level is low. Can anyone guess what the real problem of the rough idle is?

Reply to
ivanogburn

Travis McGee

Could be a lot of things, improper idle mixture, vacuum leak, stuck float causing over rich mixture, burnt valves, bad headgasket, bad plugs just to name a few. There is no one cause of this.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

"ivanogburn" wrote: (1960 F100 460CID, 750cfm Carter Carb )

It idles rough when the fuel level is low. Any guesses? _________________________________________

If the only variable is fuel level, then the pumping system needs the added pressure from a higher fuel level to assist pumping.

A new fuel pump and a new fuel line filter/carb inlet filter may help.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

there were no 460's in '60.

Reply to
Steve Barker

There were no Pintos with 302's but I've owned 2. Did ever dawn on you maybe some one hot rodded the truck?

Whitelgithning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Yes, after i replied.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Thanks - I am looking into it now!

Reply to
ivanogburn

The engine and tranny are out of a 71 Lincoln.

Reply to
ivanogburn