ford e150 van electrical troubleshoot

Any suggestion to fix a 2002 Ford e150 van? There is no power on both the dashboard cigarette lighter and on the electric plug outlet. I checked the fuses in the box (inside below and left on the driver side), but they look OK. Anything else to troubleshoot? Thanks

Reply to
abry1cg

Looking OK is not good enough. Fuses need to be removed and checked with an ohm meter. They can be bad and look good.

Glen

Reply to
Arthur Dent

I had the wire go bad on my '91 Explorer from pushing the ash tray in and out.

Reply to
Ulysses

Absent checking with a meter, swap the fuse location and see if the problem moves to a new cricuit.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The Dash lights and the Tail lights share the same fuse. You should walk around to the back of your van and check to see if the lights come on. It is possible that the main light switch has failed on the dimmer control. Of course, it's also possible that the dimmer control is set all of the way down ...

The cigarette lighter is a different circuit. The cig lighter is a single wire, with perhaps a short wire that connects to the frame to provide the ground circuit. You can follow the wire from the center post of the lighter to see where it is broken. You can follow the other wire (if there is one) to a nearby screw to see if it is grounded well. Of course, the cig lighter itself (the part you use to physically light your cigarettes) is a failure item that burns out. You can buy a new one at an auto parts store -- I'd suggest a visit to the large retailers where there are lots of accessory items out on the main floor.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland