Ford E350 question.

I have a 1994 Ford E350 460EFI (G) with a bad fuel pump. The tank is behind the rear axel. There is no way to replace the fuel pump without dropping the tank as far as I can tell. It's a Motor Home so getting to it from the top by cutting a hole in the floor is out of the question and not enough room on top to do it without dropping the tank. My question is can an in-line fuel pump be used instead? I can get an in-line that is equal to or really better than the 45psi and 33GPH rating that Ford say's you need for this truck. It's an E350 Van chassis. Will the suction pressure in an in-line fuel pump be enough to lift the fuel out of the tank? Also can I leave the old pump in the tank as long as it's not restricted or will it interfere with fuel flow? If anyone has done this I would like to hear how it worked and what type pump you used. Thanks for you help.

Gene

Reply to
FloridaRadio

Why not just lower the tank, replace the pump, and be done with it?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Much more interesting to come up with a convoluted solution than to just do it correctly.....even when the right way to do it would involve less work. Then later, when the jury rigged replacement starts causing no end of problems you are able to make all sorts of posts about the new set of dilemmas.

Reply to
bomar

Well said, bomar.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Why thank you, spdloader!

Reply to
bomar

Yes bomar, you were a lot of help.

Reply to
Julie in Tampa

I am a realist.

Reply to
bomar

Sure you are.

Reply to
Julie in Tampa

Replacing the fuel pump is not hard. But you need someone else to help you, or else get some kind of a jack, because the gas tank is rather heavy, even empty. I recently replaced a fuel pump and the hardest part was carefully lowering it onto the ground.

How has your fuel pump failed? I had a sending unit failure, but it was still pump gas. If your failed completely with some gas in it, it will be pretty heavy. But if it still pumps gas, try to run it out of gas as much as you can.

Secondly, disconnect the battery.

Unbolt the bolts holding the tank to the frame via straps.

Then disconnect the clamps on the filler hose, vent hose on top of the tank. Fuel line hairpin clips. Electrical wires to the pump.

Install a new pump and do the above in reverse.

The biggest thing is, a new pump is rather expensive, close to $200. I had to pay that just because the floating thing in it got full of gas and "drowned", thus always reading empty. I could have fixed the old pump but I decided that since I went through all that trouble, I might as well install a new one. I hear it is a common problem in early 90's F250/F350s. Nice vehicles, but a lot of misc. electrical problems caused by age, not mileage.

Reply to
Anonymous Sender

Thanks for your help. You did what I'm about to do. I got the tank empty and will use a floor jack to lower the tank. I'm still trying to find a pump that is a little stronger than tha one Ford uses for a replacement. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks again.

Julie

Reply to
Julie in Tampa

So after trying to come up with a convoluted solution to your problem, and berating those who tried to tell you it was less trouble to do it the right way, you have finally come to you senses?

Reply to
bomar

No buttmar It's just that I can't find an out-of-tank pump with enough suction to lift the fuel up to the top of the tank into the supply system. Unless I want to spend $362 on one and I don't. I wonder if your always a Dick Head when you answer peoples questions. Go away.

Julie

Reply to
Julie in Tampa

For the E350, got one at NAPA for over $ 100.00 cheaper than the one Ford Dlr wanted me to buy. Worked fine

Reply to
Rudy

The sending unit is available seperately. You didn't need to buy a pump to fix the guage.

Steve Barker

lol @ "buttmar".

So, Julie in Tampa, did you get your E350 fixed and running?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Not to nitpick, but shouldn't "Dick Head" be one word?

DJ

Reply to
DJ

Tank is out and will be fixed this weekend.

Thank for asking.

Julie

Reply to
Julie in Tampa

Oddly enough according to "Lexicon Webster's College Dictionary of the English Language" 2003 Ver. it can be used both together and separate. I'm sure that Mister @buttmar ,,,,,,, never mine I won't go there.

Have a Great day.

Julie

Reply to
Julie in Tampa