Ford F-150 Started Skipping And Smoking

I have a 1995 Ford F-150 5 liter truck. About once a month it will start skipping and almost cutoff. It has a lot of black smoke coming out of the exhaust at the same time. It will do this for about five minutes then start back running normal. Anyone out there that can offer any suggestions on what is wrong would be appreciated.

Reply to
Robbie

Robbie, Well I can say with all certainty, that the black smoke is an over fueling condition. On top of that, its best guess at that point and it can be anything from a PCM, to injectors sticking open.. Try running some Chevron Fuel System cleaner through a few tanks of gas. It could also be caused by the truck losing its reading from the MAF (Mass AirFlow Sensor). If it cant read how much air is coming in, it can cause problems, or it can be an O2 Sensor loosing connection. As you can see unless your truck is setting codes to help diagnosis, then good luck on the fix.. You have a phantom problem here.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech