Ford F150 Won't start

HI

I am driving on the highway 65 mph , 3000 rpm on 1989 V6 FI F150 . There is a loud explosion from underneath the truck and my engine cuts off . Towed back home I explore the truck and try to diagnostic the problem. The muffler has completely exploded filled with pieces from the catalytic converter The Engine crank but does not start. Fumes exhaust slightly from the remaining exhasut pipe when trying to start the engine, there is no visible blockage and a wire probe runs fine through the pipe When disconnecting the air filter line to the intake there is a strong smell of gasoline mixture. When trying to prime some starter fluid and cranking the engine there is an explosion rejecting the fumes and flame from the air filters lines (burned the air of my hand) I can see the camshaft and a couple valves moving by looking through the OIL Cap opening The engine cranks fine otherwise with no out of the ordinary noises. up to this incident never had backfiring or ignition problems. 500 miles ago I change the EGR valve and control unit clearing an engine light problem. At this point I am thinking in changing the Ignition module to see if it is resolving the problem. Any hints will be appreciated. Alain.

Reply to
Alain

I changed the ignition module and still the engine won't start. I checked the spark plug on cylinder #1 and when I crank the engine there is a good spark. The tip of the plug is very dark, like if it was charred. It could be a problem with timing , but that happened while driving, I am still trying to figure it out.

Ala> HI

Reply to
Alain

Reply to
djdave

On Sat, 27 May 2006 15:17:00 +0000, djdave rearranged some electrons to form:

No timing chain on a 300 I6, gears only.

Reply to
David M

I have changed the distributor cap and rotor just in case. Still no change. I have sparks . I have fuel Pressure. I even use some starter fluid in the intak just to verify that it is not fuel related. I have opened the air intake to make sure air is going in. Still he does not fire. handhel computer code shows 11, pass KOEO tests. I was contempleting the timing chain jump, but with gear that is out of the question, or there would be some serious damage and it would sound accordingly. I have taken out the broken catalytic converter and the rest of the muffler. I do not think these are needed to get the engine started. If it is then that 's my problem. I planned once I get the engine started to put a new converter and muffler. I have red that unusual wear and tear of the distributor on the camshat can be the cause. At this point I do not know what to try. My next course of action is to take apart the intake and injectors, the cover and take a closer look at the valves. It is frustrated somehow, because everything appears OK, Sparks Fuel, Air we should have combustion. Truck was working when it happened. , I ' ll keep posting on progress.

Reply to
Alain

I have made some reading and I am wondering if the Hall Switch and or the Crankshaft position sensor could be responsible for the timing offset. I would have thought that the computer would report a failure sensor but then again , how much can we trust that technology. IF these sensors are defective could it cause the firing to be off ?

Reply to
Alain

Well I did not get the CPS . Autozone did not carry it. The guys in the shop were advising that the CPS is not the culprit but the timing gear must have slipped off somehow. I decide to unmount the ditributor assembly and shift it counter clock wise a few positions. After 4 shifts I got the engine started. I am able to use a timing lamp now and I am not out of the woods but it is progress. I am startled by this behavior however. I am starting ot wonder if the timing gear are indeed responsible for this breakdown. I have seen the gear in the car part store and it seems incredible that a jump can happen. I would speculzte that it could break, but then nothing would work anymore.

Reply to
Alain

On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 19:53:18 -0700, Alain rearranged some electrons to form:

Are you positive that you have the plug wires in the right order?

Reply to
David M

I did check the firing order and if the wires were in the right order :

1 4 2 6 3 5 just as required with wire number > On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 19:53:18 -0700, Alain rearranged some electrons to > form:
Reply to
Alain

Reply to
djdave