Ford F150 XLT Pickup won't start

Hi,

I have a Ford F150 XLT Pickup 5 cylinder, manual transmission. I recently replaced the starter, solenoid, and battery. I accidentally reversed the terminals and I am worried that may be contributing to my next problem. The starter will turn over. However it won't start. It smells like it is flooded. I left it alone for over an hour and tried to start it by doing the pedal to the floor routine, no luck. I do get spark. I am worried that I may have fried the ECM. However since I really don't want to go on a search for an ECM for a f150 manual transmission ecm, I am hoping you can tell me what I should look at. If it is the ECM how can I tell? Where is the ECM on an 89 f150 pickup.

Sincerely, Brendhan

Reply to
Understudy

On Sun, 27 May 2007 20:23:06 -0400, Understudy rearranged some electrons to form:

I guess you mean a 6-cyliner. If I recall correctly, the ECM is located on the passenger side, behind the kick panel.

But, that is probably not the problem. Usually the simplest answer is more likely. You said you had spark, how did you determine that?

My guess, having no other information, is that the TFI module on the distributor is shot. You can remove it, and take it to your local Autocrap, and they can test it for you.

Reply to
David M

I dragged the truck over to my mechanic today. The fuel injector wasn't sending any fuel into the engine. Once we shot some fuel into it would start and run. But the injectors aren't sending fuel. We opened the computer and all you could smell was burnt air. He is going to replace the computer. We shall see where it goes from there.

Sincerely, Brendhan

Reply to
Understudy

On Mon, 28 May 2007 17:03:41 -0400, Understudy rearranged some electrons to form:

Well there ya go. I guess telling the difference between "+" and "-" is going to be an expensive lesson for you.

Reply to
David M