Ford Model T Planetary Transmission - How does it work?

I have read various books about Ford, and I have picked up that the transmission the old man put in the Model T was sort of ahead of its time.

A friend has a Nissan Murano (did I spell that right?) anyway, from what he says, I think it has the planetary transmission like HF1 put in the Model T.

Now I understand how the standard transmission woks. I understand about gear ratios, and about overdrive. Also, what with the proliferation of Voith couplings in the Industrial world, I understand how your basic automatic transmission works (or, if you prefer, "fluid drive"). But the planetary transmiission that was in the Model T, I do not understand.

Any help?

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 21:04:08 +0000, Rowbotth rearranged some electrons to form:

Your basic automatic transmission contains planetary gears.

David M

The model T Transmission was very similar to an automatic. The planetary gearset is a handy thing, and you could make a couple of speeds plus reverse off one gearset. You can control it by the elements that you stop or hook to the input or output. For gear reduction (low) for instance, you'd drive the sun, and stop the ring. Then the planets would be going slower than the sun, and that's your output.

Apart from the CVT transmissions out today, and some super-high-performance stuff, all the other automatics are still using planetary gears. It's still the exception to have one that's not.

Reply to
Joe