fuel filter

Ford dealer says I need a new fuel filter for 1998 F150 8 cylinder

-estimated cost is 20.00 for filter and 30.00 for labor, Is there something technical that I dont know about this? thanks hlb

Reply to
HL B123

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:54:34 -0500, HL B123 rearranged some electrons to say:

Do you know how to change a fuel filter? If not, then $30 for labor is probably a bargain for you.

Reply to
david

Seems reasonable...

Reply to
PeterD

Well, the sequence of steps is simple, to change out the fuel filter:

  1. truck OFF, parking brake set, on a clean, level surface. Set the Parking Brake! NO smoking, or open flames, and ground yourself of any static electrical charge. Best do this in a well ventilated area, at least 30 feet from any ignition source, gas water heater, or other device with pilot light.

  1. relieve pressure in the fuel system, at the shrader valve on the fuel rail, on the engine, with engine being COLD! I use a rubber hose from my fuel pressure gauge set ( when on sale, at Harbor Freight Tools).

  2. have a large drip pan to catch the 2-3 ounces of gas that can flow out of the filter, and the lines.

  1. pull the line clips on the ends of the filter. I wear safety glasses. Rubber gloves are recommended, because gas burn skin, and is absorbed through the skin, on contact.

  2. gently pull the lines, and watch out for gas splash.

  1. replace the filter, observing the "IN" and "OUT" ports are correct.

  2. Immediately wipe up any gas that that spilled on you, your clothes, the chassis, the floor, and recycle any that is in the large drip pan.
Reply to
Big Red Truck

No.

The filter is located along the driver-side frame rail. It has a barb thingie that holds the fuel lines to it. You can buy the tool that releases the barbs for about $5. I've not been able to figure out a way to release the barbs without the tool. It should take about 5 minutes to replace the filter.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'd like to add that these clips are where one would need the tool I described in another post as barbs. With the new filter in hand, one will notice a ridge around the flange that the fuel lines fit onto. The barbs are inside the fittings on the lines, and they clamp over the ridge on the filter. The barb-tool slides inside the fitting to spread the barb so they will fit over the ridge as the fitting is pulled off.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks for all suggestions and tips. I can see the barb clamp you referred to I will probably buy the tool .This will be my weekend project a good day to all hlb

Reply to
HL B123

=A0 =A0 =A0 I can see

a good day to all =A0hlb