FW: 2003 F250 V10 Dual Exhaust / Performance chip

-----Original Message----- From: JWats [mailto:somewhere@gulfcoast] Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 11:16 PM To: alt.ford.trucks Subject: 2003 F250 V10 Dual Exhaust / Performance chip

Took my truck to a muffler shop recently to have duals installed. The guy talked me out of it saying the sounds from two they have recently done on v-10s were not very well liked by the owners. He said the complaint was instead of getting that "throaty" sound most of us want, he got a higher pitched sound resembling something on a 4 cylinder. He used magnaflows.

I still want duals. Anyone know of great sounding mufflers for my V-10?

Also, what about a performance chip for this vehicle? Any recommendations?

Reply to
JWats

They were correct about the sound, it does not sound like you think it should at all. I would suggest that you consider a single muffler with dual outlets to give you the dual look and a better sound than straight duals and also a little better power as well particularly in lower RPM responce and power because true duals can cut power and MPG there not help it.

Reply to
SnoMan

Using a single muffler with dual outlets was the option he spoke of that sounded bad. I'm thinking surely there is a muffler out there manufactured by someone for the v-10 application. Hope so anyway.........

The shop wouldn't even consider straight duals because of the legalities surrounding the cat converter.

Reply to
JWats

JWats,

I responded to your question in another NG, but I'll repeat it here for you to consider:

The problem is that a V10 - any V10 - does not have the distinctive "pop-pop-pop" timing sound of a V8. A V10 is much smoother and produces a sound more like a purr. Dual exhausts and low restriction mufflers will just make the smooth, purr sound louder.

There *are* performance exhaust systems for the Ford V10 that are supposed to reduce backpressure, but you can't hide the sound.

RCE

Reply to
RCE

Flowmaster is the muffler of choice in this area.

Reply to
Mellowed

A BIG one. My local guy has done a bunch of V10s here in the area, but he doesn't do duals. He replumbs the exhaust from the manifolds back with 3" pipe and builds a custom "Y" pipe to join the two manifolds up right before the Cat. He adds a high performance cat and a big flowmaster before dmping the exhaust out at the original location. He says there's no way to get a decent sound out of the V10 and you'll never get a good rumble like out of a V8. (I wonder how Dodge got the Viper to sound like that?) I've considered the change on my '02 for quite a while, but something else always comes up that eats into my "truck/toy" budget. hehe

I know people who have done the Banks Power Pack with their torque tube manifolds (headers) on V10s and it doesn't rumble. I know a guy with a Kenne Bell supercharger and the JBA shorty headers on his with

3" duals/Flowmasters and it doesn't rumble. Another with a Paxton centrigugal supercharger and the 3" setup above and it doesn't rumble.

Assuming 2000 RPM at cruise, a V8 would produce about 266 exhaust pulses per second A V10 at the same speed would produce aboiut 333 per second.

Single or dual the exhaust pulses would be the same so the pitch of the V10's exhaust note would be higher in any case.

Personally, I'm looking for better flow than a "cool" exhaust tone. I'd opt for whatever gave me the best performance.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It is not just that as the Ford V10 sounds a lot different than Dodge V10 with duals. (it has to do with port/valve size and timing and exhaust manifold design too) The dodge does not sound too bad while you have to hear the Ford to believe it as it can sound really weird and unpleasnt. A dual outlet muffler is really your best beat here. There is no magic muffler out there otherwise that will fix it and make it sound like a V8.

Reply to
SnoMan

There is a big difference with Dodge V10 as it has a lot more displacement AND it is a uneven fire engine which mellows out the V10 sound a lot

No so because how the sound interacts with other sound pulse/shock waves has a effect on the sound as well and the Foed V10 sounds better when they is more interaction between banks and cylinders.

Reply to
SnoMan

The dynaflow on my v-10 and single pipe sound really good. I can't wait to get into the city so I can hear it up against the barriers or buildings. I am disappointed to hear that the duals would suck, thanks guys, I was leaning towards the duals.

Reply to
Jeepers