gass additives?

My old 85 pickup needs to pass a New York State emissions test next week and I was wondering if there is any good gas additive which would help it pass..... any suggestions would be appreciated..... the truck drives fine but you know it's old and I guess just " passes too much gas " the older it gets ( don't we all :-)

Reply to
don

A few suggestions.....

Add some Chevron with Techron fuel additive. Change the oil and go to a heavier viscosity i.e 20W50 - change it back as soon as the test is complete ( you dont want to run a heavy oil for long in NY in the winter). You can even add some STP oil treatment. If the truck is carbureted, lean the mixture out as much as possible and readjust after the test.

Does NY only test at idle? If so make sure the truck is at operating temperature and you will only have to lean out the idle mixture.

If it is fuel-injected make sure that your EGR valve and your Oxygen sensor are good. A bad Ox sensor will cause you to fail an emission test as it is part of the mixture control loop.

That is about all of the tricks I can think of to reduce emissions from an older vehicle short of rebuilding the motor.

Reply to
Steve-WA4CSA

Last Feb my '87 car had to undergo emission testing for the first time. Here is what I was advised to do: all filters must be clean/new oil/use Prem gas and add an Oxygenator to it prior to test/NO codes in computer(the first thing the tech did was access the computer)/get the vehicle to NOT before going to the test. I did these things and the car passed with flying colors. If fact the tech said new cars would have trouble getting similar results to my cars' test results. Possibly I didn't have to do any of those things, except for the codes, but last year was the first year we came under emission testing, so I was taking no chances even though I maintain the vehicle properly...

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt