Gear ratios, and engines, and cabs (oh my!)

Yup, I'm a major truck noob.

Here's the scenario. My family will be moving to a remote cabin site. It's 20 miles of dirt to the nearest asphalt, fairly well maintained (gets plowed in winter, but can get rutted when things thaw out),

6000-to-7000ft foothills/valleys in SW Utah. Last 2 miles to property are off the maintained road. Snow isn't too bad, but having to drive through 18 inches might happen once or twice a year, plus the mud during the thaw. Grades of hills between asphalt and property are not bad at all.

We need a vehicle that meets the following:

  • Handle mud and snow for 4-to-6 months of the year
  • Haul water (500gal/trip = 4,000lbs) 60 miles on a bi-weekly basis
  • Haul hay (1/2 ton, bales) on a monthly basis (in bed and/or with
4x8 trailer)
  • Haul small horse trailer loaded w/ 600-lb cow once in a while
  • Must seat 4, as the car will not be usable during snow season
  • 1992 or earlier preferred (state taxes age-based, 12 years being the lowest)
  • May some day get snow plow to maintain that last 2 miles of dirt road
  • Depending on the job situation, might be used to commute 500 miles/week when bad weather rules out using the car.
  • Budget for rig is ,000

Of course there's room for compromises.

In my novice opinion, based on the specs and from reading various forums, I think that a diesel F250 or F350 would fit the bill.

I've been browsing online and newspaper classifieds. There seems to be a healthy seleciton of trucks out there. However, there are so many features mentioned that I don't know what to make of them.

Some questions:

  1. Are dualies a desireable feature? I assume you get more weight capacity in the back with them (good for hauling water in the bed, good for pulling a "fiver"), at the cost of maintaining an extra pair of tires and extra drag (poorer gas mileage?).

  1. Are there specific engines that are either lemons or exceptionally good and reliable?

  2. What are the typical bed lenghts of trucks, how are they referred as? I want to haul 8-foot lumber (2x4s, sheet rock, plywood). Are
4'x8' beds available? Are they worth it if I have a modest 4'x8' utility trailer already?

  1. I've seen many posts referencing engines and ratios. It's my understaninding that with lower ratios, you get better mileage, but less towing capacity. Given my guidelines above, what's the best ratio for me that will provide the best mileage? Also, are the ratios a property of the engine itself, or would I need to inquire about each vehicle I encounter?

  2. Any decent guidelines on the prices for these things? The local market doesn't seem even reasonably close to Bluebook (then again, how many people *do* list their used vehicles based on Bluebook?). A rule of thumb like "I wouldn't pay more than 00 for any 3/4- or 1-ton truck over 10 years old". I know the variables for price are many, but I don't want to get fleeced.

  1. Tires. I've been very happy with the 2 sets of BFG All-Terrain T/A I've gone through on my Navajo. Would the MFG Mud Terrain be good winter tires for my situation, swapping them out with the All-Terrain for the good weather season? Are those BFG Commercial T/A Traction tires any good?

I'm partial to the Fords (being happy with my Navajo), but am certainly open to recommendations on other makes/models.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Reply to
Funky Trilobyte

Surplus Deuce and a Half. Avoid the multi fueled engines. Get one with a knuckle boom crane and the canvas top. Haul the whole clan (including horse and cow) in the back. Sell the trailer. No need to plow a paltry 18" snow. Load small commuter car in back w/ knuckle boom and unload and drive it once you reach paved road. I'd also look for one with the deep water fording package.

Reply to
bomar

||* Haul water (500gal/trip = 4,000lbs) 60 miles on a bi-weekly basis

I'd be looking at building a rainwater catchment system. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Well Funky, I'm not going to question why you want to live in such a remote area since I'm sure you have your reasons but I will make a few observations.

Driving through 2 miles of heavy snow will not be fun. The first pass is often the easiest but once the snow gets a bit rutted or softens up, it will be nearly impossible. Mud is no more fun. I was on a logging road after a bit of rain and the top inch or two was mud. It was like driving on grease. I crawled out of there in 4 low.

You really should get a plow up front, possible a Vee plow. Plowing 2 miles of remote road will not be easy unless you have somewhere to plow the snow off to the side. Even then, it will be a big job.

Keep in mind that although your truck may be able to get in and out without plowing, a fire truck or ambulance won't.

I'm no expert (I drive a Ranger) but I would suggest a full size diesel. Get a limited slip differential both front and rear and good snow tires for the winter. I would also suggest 4 sets of tire chains. You can get a vee-bar type that is less common but has real bite. I would also suggest a winch for when you get stuck in the middle of no where. Yes, you will get stuck so be prepared for it. Remember that wide tires are not as good in snow as narrow ones as they tend to float around like a crazy carpet. Get the biggest diameter tire with the narrowest width possible.

You will need ground clearance. Without it, you will get stuck no matter what tires you're running so look for a truck that has been lifted a bit.

Typically, the bigger the tires you have, the higher the gear ratio you need. Putting big tires on a truck with 3.55 or 3.73 gears will result in less torque (but more speed) being put to the ground. A truck designed for the conditions you need will not be a good vehicle for commuting on the highway. Consider getting a small car and parking it at the end of the pavement for commuting.

Glen in Nova Scotia

Reply to
Glen Smith

I would keep a front wheel drive car at the end of your road for commuting. (I've known of others to do the same) You don't want to commute in anything that will meet your other requirements.

Among Fords in the range you are looking at? Not that I know of.

You have so many requirements that getting a long bed will be icing on the cake. If you have the trailer already I would put bed length last on the list.

I wouldn't overly concern myself with the ratio, chances are that once you find an F250/350 with towing package or Deuce-and-a-half it will have an appropriate axle ratio. Doesn't hurt to check but I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

You'll want snow tires for the winter, save those mud tires for summer.

A surplus Deuce isn't a bad idea but you don't want to drive it long distances.

Reply to
McQualude

whole clan

drive it once

Actually not a bad idea; but "bomar" didn't mention getting rid of those "godforsaken" military tires.

Reply to
R. Asby Dragon

A big thanks to those who took the time to reply. I ended up getting a '99 Ram 2500, 5.9L 24V Cummins TD, 4x4, long bed, 3.54 back end. Apart from the brand, it was the first truck I located that seemed to fit everything we needed. With the engine replaced 24,000 miles ago, it seemed like a good deal, so we took it. It cost a bit more than my $10k guideline, but I decided that something a little newer would be better.

Took it up to the property the next day, where it did *much* better than the Navajo. The truck drives very well. Even gets better fuel mileage.

To the poster from Texas -- yes, we plan on rain/snow collection. Fortunately, the seasons of the worst driving conditions will be the best for water collection. The area gets 12" of precipitation annually, so summers will likely require hauling water every so often.

Yes, it's a little far out. Though we're not yet 100% committed to moving there full time, we want the option. Since I can telecommute via satellite internet access, distance isn't too much of a problem. Food can be stored and raised. There's also an EMT / volunteer fire department station only 2 miles away.

The tire width advice has been noted. The truck came with pretty big/wide BFG T/A XO tires (I don't know the size off-hand), so I'll look for narrow when the times comes for pricing snow tires.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Funky Trilobyte

LOL.... Thanks for the support! Yeah, those Uncle Sam baloney skins are not the best tires ever produced....

Reply to
bomar

rid of

produced....

Me Too -- I "half-burned-out" the clutch in my old 2wd Tojo pickup; but I unstuck an M35A1 in a mudhole on my own property (volunteered use of my own property for a training exercise-- couldn't start the damned tractor!! ) It's amazing what you can pull with a 200 ' big nylon rope at "full throttle hit"

We used to "sneak" decent tires on our M35A1's and bigger .. usual Army/Air Guard tricks. The carcass wasn't too bad; but gettting it retreaded with a logging truck tread locally did wonders (and cheaper than going thru official channels) .

Reply to
R. Asby Dragon