GEM module - Ford Ranger 2000

Does anyone know where the GEM (general electronic module) is located on a 2000 Ford Ranger?

It appears that the GEM is overheating. The windshield wipers only work, except at maximum speed, below 60 degrees. I have been told that it is behind the fuse block, inside the steering column and behind the ashtray.

My guess is that only one of these locations is correct.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

. . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D GEM module - Ford Ranger 2000 Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Sun, Aug 15, 2004, 11:48am (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (Pete)

Does anyone know where the GEM (general electronic module) is located on a 2000 Ford Ranger?

=A0=A0It appears that the GEM is overheating. The windshield wipers only work, except at maximum speed, below 60 degrees. I have been told that it is behind the fuse block, inside the steering column and behind the ashtray.

=A0=A0My guess is that only one of these locations is correct. =A0=A0Pete =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I have not a clue as to where the General Electronic Module is.

However....

the Generic Electronic Module is just to the left, and behind, the radio.

maybe your module is in the near vacinity.

MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

...me either...

GEM module - Ford Ranger 2000

Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Sun, Aug 15, 2004, 11:48am (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@charter.net (Pete)

Does anyone know where the GEM (general electronic module) is located on a 2000 Ford Ranger?

It appears that the GEM is overheating. The windshield wipers only work, except at maximum speed, below 60 degrees. I have been told that it is behind the fuse block, inside the steering column and behind the ashtray.

My guess is that only one of these locations is correct. Pete =========== ===========

I have not a clue as to where the General Electronic Module is.

However....

the Generic Electronic Module is just to the left, and behind, the radio.

maybe your module is in the near vacinity.

MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Joe G

?
Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Here's the TSB on that issue:

My wipers quit soon after purchase (new), so it was fixed on warranty. It's a common problem. They replaced the switch assembly on the end of the wiper stalk. Other than a later shorted wire in the steering column (which blew the wiper fuse) the wipers have worked normally.

Caveat

2000 XLT 4.0 4X4
Reply to
Caveat

P.S.

As noted, in my case the GEM module wasn't the problem. Thus replacing it wouldn't have solved anything. The dealer told me that the core cause of most of the intermitent/erratic operation of wipers in these vehicles is resistance drift in the multifunction wiper stalk switch (which may be causing overheating of your GEM module).

But in the event that you actually *DO* have a bad GEM/CTM (and to answer your other question), it is located behind the instrument panel. The Ford Workshop Manual, Volume 2 details the replacement procedure starting on page 419-10-2. It involves removing the radio and the instrument panel trim to get to the module.

BTW, if you do install a new GEM unit, the book says it is necessary to download the module configuration information from the scan tool into the new module. (Doesn't sound like a DIY project to me.)

I would suggest a dealer scan diagnosis before you proceed.

Caveat

(Are you the same Pete Bucy from r-b some years ago?)

Reply to
Caveat

Same thing happened to my 97 Ranger.

Reply to