Going camo w/F-100 Advice??

Without going into rambling specifics, I'm going to make some patterns, get some Krylon spray cans, and I'm going to camoflauge-paint my '82 F-100 longbed. I'll use about for or five colors, with the first overall base color being primer red. The body is cream-off-white now, with a little bit of rust in the bed...I know enough to grind and sand away all of the rust that I possible can, but doing work on cars isn't "allowed" at my apartment... I'm considering taking it to Maaco and asking them to "rough up" the smooth finish, so the new paint scheme will take hold... I want to keep some factory paint under the camo so I get protection from further rusting and weathering... don't want to drive a partially camo-ed truck for weeks, doing a little each day...does this sound rational, and besides "don't do it!!", any advice greatly appreciated! (I know - "move" and "use Navel jelly") thanks!! Paul snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
pmbedard

||Without going into rambling specifics, I'm going to make some ||patterns, get some Krylon spray cans, and I'm going to ||camoflauge-paint my '82 F-100 longbed. ||I'll use about for or five colors, with the first overall base color ||being primer red. The body is cream-off-white now, with a little bit ||of rust in the bed...I know enough to grind and sand away all of the ||rust that I possible can, but doing work on cars isn't "allowed" at my ||apartment... ||I'm considering taking it to Maaco and asking them to "rough up" the ||smooth finish, so the new paint scheme will take hold... ||I want to keep some factory paint under the camo so I get protection ||from further rusting and weathering... ||don't want to drive a partially camo-ed truck for weeks, doing a ||little each day...does this sound rational, and besides "don't do ||it!!", any advice greatly appreciated! (I know - "move" and "use ||Navel jelly") ||thanks!! Paul snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Get some Permatex Extend or similar product that turns surface rust into black oxide primer. Kills the rust, primes in one step. Then paint. Plastikote makes camo colors and is, IMHO, a better quality paint. Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Thanks - I know about POR-15 and navel, but didn't know the Permatex product...

Reply to
pmbedard