Grunting over Speedbumps (98 Ford Ranger)

You guys have always been very helpful on this board. I have another question for you "gurus".

I have a 98 Ford Ranger (2x4, 2.5L, 100,000 miles) and in the past few months, I notice a terrible "grunting" noise when I go over speedbumps or any other road issue that jolts my truck.

This afternoon I actually changed my shocks (front and rear) for the first time (woo hoo!!!) only to find the problem still exists. It's not a metal grinding noise; I can only describe it as a "grunt". Seems to be coming from more of the front end.

ANY IDEAS????

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
snewman1209

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:43:19 -0700, snewman1209 rearranged some electrons to say:

Probably a bushing that is worn out, or perhaps a worn-out ball joint.

Reply to
david

Reply to
djdave

My vote is the control arm bushings are shot. This is another job that you could do at home, but it is more difficult (physically demanding as opposed to technically challenging) than shocks.

You should replace the bushings on both sides, but you could try going over the bumps at an angle, first one angle then the other, to see if the noise is more on the left or right.

The springs rest in a rubber bushing too, these wear out and can make a groaning noise.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

On my Saturn Vue, when I pulled/turned onto an apron to enter a lot (or similar), the front end creaking would sound like an old Lincoln with bad leaf springs or the "old bedsprings" noise you hear at a cheap motel (.....not that i'd...ummm...know anything about that...)

Anyway, it was more prominent when it got colder/cooler....Turned out to be the Strut Towers...Not sure if the Ranger has them, but it's another suggestion should you need one...

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

Thanks for the comments!

My bro-in-law mentioned i should stop by Jiffy Lube and see if maybe I just need to get some things oiled. I am stopping by today and will report back!

Also, how in the world do I go about replacing control arm bushings!? And if they are just dry, do I need to replace them? Or just oil them?

Reply to
snewman1209

Oil? no.. If they are squeaking, they are dry rotted and need to be replaced. If you can bounce the car by hand, see if you can reproduce the noise. If you can, grab a friend and have him bounce it while you spray wd40 or any lube on the control arm bushings. If th noise subsides, you know you have the issue at hand. Call around for prices on replacing both sides, and also alignment.

I have done them before, you need special tools, and good mechanical skills.

Reply to
djdave