Help! 2002 F350 overhead console latch

Help! Having been a long time Chevy SUV owner, I've just purchased a 2002 F350 that has the overhead console containing two compartments: one for glasses and the other for a garage door opener. The compartment lids are opened and held closed by a molded-in plastic latch.

On my first drive as a Ford Truck owner, I opened the garage door opener compartment, and the latch broke off in my hand. Can you tell me the best way to obtain a replacement? Is the compartment door removable? If so, how? Would a dealer stock these? I hope I don't have to replace the whole overhead console.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
Richard Karran

I have an 02 F350 C/C Lariat LWB Same 2 "hatches" Someone here already had the same problem..complained how much the lil "door" cost @ the Ford dealer. The "door" only is available.

I'd call around first and see if I could get one from a "wrecker" for half price or so.

Rudy

I have same truck and the same issue (and then some) I first broke the sunglass door and bought a replacement. Never put it in 'cuz I couldn't figure out how the %&^%&^ to remove the overhead console. Dealer said "Oh it just snaps right in." Yeah, right. Only if the laws of physics are severaly mangled. Stashed the door and put it on my "get around to it" list.

A couple months back, the other door literally shattered so I decided to see if I could get the console out.. Didn't see any screws, clips or anything so called the dealer who was kind enough to fax me over a VERY poor drawing of the assembly. Worthless as far as determining how the hell the thing came off..

Finally I managed to get a couple fingers under the upper edge and felt around a bit to see if i could figure it out. As I was fiddling, one corner suddenly popped loose and I could see WTF was going on..

The console has 4 flat "fingers" that slide into slots fitted with these odd "one way" clips. Poor ASCII pic below"

|| / || \ / || \ || ____

Easy to press in, but a bitch to get out. I did manage to finally get the console down, but broke two of the "fingers" in the process. I haven't found any type of glue that'll keep 'em together so I've resigned myself to buying a new overhead and the garage door opener door and finally putting the whole mess back together..

The sunglass door was like $75 and I've yet to get a price on the console and the garage door opener door, but it's probably going to be just as steep. Gonna look for a "gently used" unit before I go brand new...

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Well, after calling the DEALER, I was told that the entire overhead console was within just a few bucks of the compartment door by itself. No kidding, like 5 dollars more. 86.00 or so, total.

Thats what I bought, and was also told it "snaps" right out from clips that hold it. First though, I thought I'd just try replacing the door and keep the rest as spares. When I tried to remove only the old already-broken door, the hinges (on the console) broke, which told me I had to replace the entire overhead console. Like you, I struggled to get it "popped" loose, and broke one of the clips (on the console) in the process so now I have no spare of anything.

The installation was another trick. Although there is a "centering" post on the console that goes into the base that's already in the overhead, to line up the clips, they do not just "pop" in. I couldn't press hard enough to get the clips to seat. With so much already having broken, and the steep price for this stuff, I was hesitant to apply too much force. Finally in a leap of faith, I used a closed fist as a hammer, and the clips seated themselves one at a time as I struck the area of each one. I'd be afraid to remove the console again for fear of breaking the clips - then having to buy another new console. For now...........all is well.

"The OTHER Kev>

Reply to
Richard Karran

[...]

You mean the console and both doors?? Where the hell was that? I've got a credit card and a telephone and and on a 1st name basis with the UPS guy...

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yeah, console and both doors. Call Bill Curry Ford in Tampa, Fl.......I think the parts guy was Carlos.

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" <skiddz "AT" adelphia "DOT" net> wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Richard Karran

I'm headed to the east Coast next weekend. I'll give 'em a call. Thanks!

Reply to
invalid unparseable