HELP-86 Ford Ranger turns but won't start

Strange problem, truck runs for about 5 to 10 minutes and then stop. It will spin but doesn't have spark. I checked with a timing light and tried to ground a plug to the manifold. Changed "brain" module on distributor, checked the rotor, cap and coil wire. Checked all the connections. Checked the belts (tightened) and alternator connections. it also seems to kill the battery.....or maybe it was old.......put another one in it, still don't start. We just put this thing on the road after sitting for a year and put a clutch in it(it ran then)........... I've been working on Fords for a while but can't figure this out. These things had a problem with shorts in the steering column but turning the key engages the selonoid and turns over. Any help is appreciated............BTW it's a 2.9 V6.

Reply to
jb

I am not sure I am going to be able to help you much, but years ago I had 90 F150 that just died on the road. It would crank, but would not start. Tried replacing the part on the distributer, still no go. Dealer found the problem. I believe it was a fusable link or harness that powered or sent information to the computer. Once fixed, started just fine. It was something like $.75 part (if there is such a thing anymore).

Reply to
Marlin Singer

Even though the truck runs intermittenly, I would still say the ignition switch is your problem. Not the metal switch that you slide the key into, but the actual electronic switch that is mounted on the inside of the steering column.

A lot of older Fords had problems with the ignition switches and this was one of many of the symptoms.

Good luck Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

I have an 86 Ranger 2.9 that had the same problem recently. Turned out to be the PIP/Hall Effect sensor in the distributor. You need a special tool to pull the distributor apart to get to it, so I just bought a remanufactured one from the parts store. You may have a fried Ignition Module too, though. I burned up 3 modules before I realized it wasn't the module that was the problem.

I can email you a worksheet I borrowed from a mechanic buddy to diagnose the ignition system if you like.

Reply to
jfinneyfrock

if you changed the battery too, double check to be sure all your ground wires are on the battery, i think there are one or two separate from the main ground cable.lucas

ds549

Here's a webpage I threw together that shares pretty much everything I know and learned about these ignition systems: <a href="

">
</a>

Reply to
jfinneyfrock