help: alternator light on but system is charging?

1984 Ranger 2.8L no air, auto, 2wheel drive. I replaced the alternator and then noticed the alternator light was on. I checked the system for charge voltage and amps: all is fine. The only thing is that red light in the instrument cluster! Anyone know what this is?

Thank you, Doug

Reply to
Doug

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 17:22:08 -0400, Doug rearranged some electrons to form:

What were your "charge voltage and amps" readings, and how did you measure them?

Reply to
David M

Usually, this means a diode in the alternator is bad. But don't take that as gospel until it's properly checked. What I would do is yank the new alternator, and take it to the auto parts and have it checked. If they say it's good, you may have another problem. But usually when I see this, it's a flaky alternator with a bad diode. I assume the regulator is built into that alternator for that year...MK

Reply to
Mark Keith