HELP on BIG Sedan Question

Though I am a "Truck Guy" I have moved my 86-year-old mother into my home to live with us. As she cannot get into my truck or my mini van I need a four-door sedan. As I have out of the car market for years and years I have no idea what there is out there that will serve our purpose. I want the biggest %#@*&@ four door sedan there is. I want a Hummer2 that is as low as a car so she can get in and out of it. She has a really bad hip and can't step up or down out of anything except a car. I know or think the Town car is the biggest around. Am I right? I'd even consider a (I hate to say this) GM or Chrysler product. And maybe if I slam my fingers in a car door several times I'd even look at a foreign car. I want big and four doors. Since it won't be used all that much I'd like to stay with a 1999 or 2000 year and somewhere around $5000 or so. Any suggestions. Thanks for your help Gene

Reply to
Indianaradio

The Crown Vic, dude.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Gene, My mother-in-law is in the same condition; bad knees, bad hips, arthiritis and everything else. My father-in-law test drove everything he could find and settled on a Chrysler mini-van, the Voyager, or whatever they call it. It's as low as a car, but with the wider front door she can sit directly on the passenger seat, then he can lift her legs inside. A large sedan, with the seats as low as they are is too hard for her to get in and out of. I'd at least give it a test drive.

JH

Reply to
J Harris

Agreed

My dad is 80, bad legs, but he can get in and out of the Dodge Caravan just fine

You might look at the Windstar if you prefer Ford

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I have a Windstar and it won't wok. She hates it. She needs a sadan.

Reply to
Indianaradio

The Windstar sits higher than the Voyager/Caravan and the doors are different. I suspect you'll have lots of trouble getting in and out of a sedan, but go for it.

JH

Reply to
J Harris

The crown vic is the biggesting thing going and it's cheap, too. If it's too cheap get the mercury or lincoln instead.

Reply to
Joe

Agreed. If she can't get into a Ford Crown Victoria, she's not going to be able to get into anything. Like Joe said, if you don't like the Crown Victoria, look at the Mercury Grand Marquis or the Lincoln Town Car. They're all, basically, the same car, size-wise. Just depends what you want to spend.

Although, at the time, I thought of the Grand Marquis as an 'old guy' car, my then 25-year old son bought a Grand Marquis (new) in 2001 and loves it. Now, I'm thinking of trading my F-150 for a 2004 Grand Marquis...or maybe the Town Car but, then, i *am* an old guy! :)

Reply to
Rich Cervenka

I'm old to but young at heart, Or at least my 24 year old girlfriend thinks so. We have a 86 Olds Delta88 and she gets in and out of it fine. We just need to replace it soon. Will go look at all your sugestions. Thanks to everybody that helped. Gene

Reply to
Indianaradio

My in-laws are in the same same shape and found the Honda Odyssey to be perfect. I think the sedans (Crown Vic and so on) would be almost as difficult to get in and out of as the truck. Anyhow, find a used one and take it home and have your mom climb in and out of it. Good luck. jor

Reply to
jor

They now sell a "cop" version of that car. It has more power, better tires and suspension, and comes only in black. If I had to buy a big sedan like that it is the only one that I would get. My father has the 2002 Grand Marquis, and it is underpowered and has a mushy floating boat sort of suspension. It sucks. If you live up north you need snow tires because with rwd you will have a hard time getting around in the snow.

Reply to
bb

Actually, the Marauder is available in black, white or silver. :)

The 4.6L V-8 (only engine offered on the Grand Marquis) is the same engine that I have in my F-150 and is not underpowered at all. As far as the snow tires, my son is getting along fine in the snow in Chicago but you're probably right about snow tires being better in a lot of snow.

Best regards.

Reply to
Rich Cervenka

Sorry...the correct color choices for the Marauder are black, silver or *red*.

Reply to
Rich Cervenka