Help. Strange brake problem.

I have a strange brake problem. When I first get in the car and start down the road everything is OK. As soon as I hit my brakes to stop, it stops OK but the brake stays on. As long as I don't touch the brake pedal when first starting out it goes fine. It's when I first hit the brakes that they stay on. The right front wheel gets hot so I assume it is that break that is sticking. While it is sticking and I'm moving and I hit the breaks it doesn't pull to the left or right. After the car sets a few hours it releases and then I can start the car and drive normally UNTIL I hit the breaks again, and again it puts the breaks on. The breaks don't go on hard enough to keep me from moving the car but when I let off the gas petal you can tell it's breaking again. Any ideas before I start tearing it apart. And am I making any sense??? Thanks for you help. Gene snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Gene

Agave

It could be a sticking caliper or a bad hose. Jack that corner up till the tire clears the ground. If the wheel won't turn, open the bleeder and let off the pressure. If the wheel will now turn, it's the hose. I suggest replacing both sides. If one goes bad, the other probably isn't far behind.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

I tend to agree with Hairy. I've only worked on my own brakes but it sounds like a sticking caliper or even a bad wheel cylinder depending on what your vehicle has. my 2 cents

Reply to
Jimbo

Stuck caliper or (more likely) a bad brake line. Had a '95 Suburban that ate the right front pads every few thousand miles. Never pulled or exhibited any odd behaviour. Compressing the caliper to replace pads was always quite a chore and I finally discovered the flexible part of that brake's plumbing was delaminating inside, effectively creating a 1-way "valve".. Fluid could flow TO the caliper freely, but was greatly restricted FROM the caliper.

Swapped out the line, bled the brakes and all was good (well, as far as good can get with that POS) How old is the vehicle?? Might be a good idea to change out the brake hoses on all 4 corners.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Bad break line hose? What a dumb idea. Daaaaaaaa BUT IT WORKED ! !

Thanks guys for all your help. If it was not for you all I'd have that car in 23,486 parts by now. Stinking hose. Whooedatat???

Thanks again.

Gene

Reply to
Gene