help! What is this? 93 F150 question 5.0L

On the front passenger side, just behind and below the battery is a plastic rectangular box which hangs vertically. It has two plastic removeable caps and two hose fittings (or did) and two hoses hanging near it (not connected and one seem to be broken off the thing) one appears to run down to the frame member, change into a metal tube and head towards the rear of the truck and the other heads up towards the intake manifold and passes thru what appears to be a solenoid. My question is what is this plastic box and what does it do? Is it some sort venting for the fuel system? The truck seems to be running normally, albeit a little heavier perhaps on fuel consumption...hard to tell. Any help appreciated...TIA!

Reply to
dave

fuel vapor canister

it alledgedly collects fuel vapors in charcoal granules when the truck is not running, when it is started the soelnoid opens and sucks the vapor into the intake

so much phlogiston, in my opinion, but hey, the Feds fell for it............

Reply to
TranSurgeon