hey Ford Tech: spark plug question

have a freebie customer (relative) wants me to find a non existant miss -

02 expidition, 5.4, 97k miles, i call it a 'nonexistant miss' because i cant feel it while driving or at idle and scan shows zero codes. i checked PCV hose assembly, no leaks but found PCV buzzing like a crackhead so replaced it. no change in running but much quieter...did pull 2 'easy plugs' and found no erosion but did notice a gray ash like coating. to me its a normal ash and no problem found but thought i would ask your opinion. can you throw me an opinion from joplin?..........kjun
Reply to
Kjun

The only thing I'll tell you is that you better properly torque those plugs, or you'll be replacing the head/heads soon. The tritons are notorious for blowing out plugs. I'd never consider pulling plugs on one unless there is a reason.

From what you describe, there is no miss whatsoever, so why are you even working on it? Is there a stumble of some sort?

CJB

Reply to
CJB

The reason they blow out is because Ford used a combo fo wrong plug design and torque for them and the loosen up with time due to differing expansion rates in materails involved (steel plugs, aluminum heads) and they rattle around until a combo os looseness and flame erosion cuts threas and blows them out. This is all the more reason to check plugs for time to time for leakage and/or snugness rather than ignore them.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Additionally, I've heard that there are only 3 so threads of thickness for the plugs to grip.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

That is not cool at all. Not one of Fords better ideas.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Man I replied to this and it didnt post.. LOL

I would run a stress test on the COP's (coil over plug). If its an intermittent miss then that would definitely show it. Only bad thing about that is you have to take it to Ford to get that done, and that aint cheap...

Have you tried loading the truck heavy and doing a full power take off? That would stress the COP and if its goin to miss it will show up then..

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

"Ford Tech" wrote in news:d5PCh.74579$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe15.phx:

hi ford tech, thanks for reply... my stress test (power stall) is always first step in my world, of course i found no miss. went ahead and did an individual coil test (unhook one coil at a time and watch rpm drop on scanner) all alike.....me thinks he were just jerkin me around or his wifey was jerkin him around!...anywho, gave truck back and called him with good results and no further complaint. might have been PCV valve but i never felt the miss before replacement............whats the deal with the heads spitting out plugs i read about? ive had hundreds out with no ill results.................kjun

Reply to
Kjun

The problem with the plugs popping out is people not torquing them correctly and stripping them... If they have the truck back and no more issues, call it a day... LOL

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

No, they were blowing out at minimal miles from the factory due to a poor thread design. The Lightnings were spitting them all over the place. The solution under warranty was a set of new heads with more threads.

Reply to
Roy

"Roy" wrote in news:p_CdnSZIgNz2CnzYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

hmmmmmmmmmmm....just never ran into prob. lucky me? well where the hells the luck on lotto tickets?..................kjun

Reply to
Kjun

"Ford Tech" wrote in news:289Eh.46880$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.phx:

thread tied in a knot and ended......................kjun

Reply to
Kjun