Hole in Brake Line

I have a pin-hole in the steel brake line on my 1993 Ford Ranger. The hole is located about a half inch above the point where the steel tubing enters a fitting that connects it to a ribbed rubber hose. This fitting is attached to a bracket that bolts to the driver-side frame just forward of the rear axle. There is a lot of rust on the fitting and both sides seem to be "frozen". I can get wrenches on both nuts, but turning them only "rounds" the bolts.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way to repair this?

Thanks.

Reply to
cardscat

Yep, here is what you should have done before you rounded off the nuts. Spray the Bejesus out of the connection with Kroil (best) PB Blaster (good) or WD 40 (worthless) Wait an hour. If you used WD 40 go buy one of the other 2 products mentioned above and respray. Wait again. Then remove fittings with the correct tool....a flare nut wrench.

Reply to
bomar

Make them flare nut wrenches either:

Snap On or Koblat sold at Lowe's.

The company that Snap On bought out, J.H. Williams makes the wrenches for Lowes too.

Good quality, a lot less than Snap On.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

well, he's rounded 'em off, so.............

release the clip that holds the end of the hose in the bracket

GENTLY get the hose-tube combo out of the bracket

use a small vice-grips on the nut, and a larger one on the hose end

turn the HOSE, not the nut

with luck, he'll managed to unscrew the hose without twisting the line into a pretzel

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Not any more. Contract expired.

Kobalt wrenches (not necessarily all) when made by Snap-On were being produced at the Snap-On plant on 91st St and Faulkner in Milwaukee

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Thanks for telling me that!

Who makes them now, anyway, Snap On's patent on the Flank Drive expired years ago, so K-D= Sears, Easco, NAPA, True Value and so many others uses it, as well as all the Stanley companies, MAC, Bonney, others. But nothing beats Snap On steel!

Thanks again,

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Can't remember, an unremarkable company no doubt.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Or; nothing beats Snap-On steal. 8^)

Reply to
Neil Nelson

LOL

But you have to admit, drop a Snap On Wrench(Ouch, my shimy chrome) and you hear a distinct difference from the other brands. When they hit the concrete.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

But you need a second mortgage to buy a wrench from them...

Reply to
jeff

Agree 100%, all of my wrenches and chrome sockets are Snap-On, except for the ones that get heated/welded and bent to perform a specific task, those come from Sears-Sawbuck.

Lost an 11mm 1/4" drive shallow socket the other day while doing a T-belt and waterpump on a Taurus SHO, a spare 7/16" is filling the hole in the 1/4" metric socket rail.

Bummer!

Reply to
Neil Nelson

You know there was a time (about 27 years ago) when I used to ask how much a snap on tool was before buying it. THEN, I realized that all snap on tools are the same price. AND when someone would ask me "how much WAS that bent handled swivel headed 3/8 drive ratchet" I would give them the same answer. ALL tools are the same price. $25 a week. And that's all that ANY of my snap on tools have cost. $25 a week. They come to me and I haven't had to trapse off to Sears for 27 years. When I break a craftsman tool, I buy it in snap on and give the broken one to my son for his collection. Kind of like the Arlo Guthrie song. "" You can have any thing you want, for twenty five dollars a week" .. >

Reply to
Steve Barker

I myself use my son's snap-ons now and then. My favorite wrenchs are my old JH Williams wrenchs. My best ratchets are JH Williams. I have many kinds and the worst by far are the Craftsman ratchts.(newer) They are so sloppy they are hard to use. I've taken the 1/2 drive back six times for the same junk. I now buy most of my tools on Ebay. Bob

GOD BLESS THE USA Member of IPCO- International Pest Control Operators Public message board-

Bob