hood latch

The other day I could not get the hood to open from the inside hood release on my '99 F-150. I hit a small bump today and that caused the hood to open. However, when I try and close the hood, it hood will not close all the way. The latch does not seem to be catching and locking the hood down. I've tried lubing the latch with WD-40 and trying to get the latch to catch by pushing down on it, but it didn't work. Any advice on replacing the hood latch or is there an easier fix?

Reply to
mih0350

I had the same problem about 2 years ago on my 99 F150. After close hunting and searching I found there was a spring that was broken in around the latch. If you look down in at the back side of the latch you will see a spring that is about 1/2 inch dia and just under that should be another spring that is about 3/8 inch dia. That smaller spring was what was broken on mine. I didn't really find it until I removed the two bolts holding the latch assembly into place and then the fault was obvious. I popped the old broken spring out and found a replacement in the hardware store which looked pretty close to the same size. I had to rebend the ends a bit to install it but it has worked fine ever since. Hopefully your problem will be the same so it is easy to fix as well.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
lmcclaf

That's a lot of work to save the $25 cost of a new latch.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Wasn't really a lot of work. The two bolts would have to be taken out to replace the latch anyway and the spring I bought was the type that had just straight ends so they could be bent with a pair of pliers into a curve to hook into where the old spring connected. The cost was about

89 cents. I think the local dealer to me quoted me a cost of about $63 (Canadian) or something strange like that. That was the main reason why I took a crack at it myself first.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
lmcclaf