How Do I Sell a Truck Online?

Wondering if anyone has any experience in this area. Trying to sell a Ford XLT 350 power stroke diesel. Don't know whether to go the ebay route, or to some other site that may focus more on truck sales.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Bryan

Reply to
bam

There are forsale and buysell newsgroups for many areas. E.g. tor.buysell is for the Toronto area. Craigs List has free vehicle ads for many cities. Here is a link to the cities where Craigslist exists:

there may be websites that are free or charge for listing vehicles. Here is one I used once to sell a car, the basic listing is free, but they charge for upgrades:

Roy Brown

I used

I think it was $25 to list the vehicle until it sells.. Took a little over a week to get a phone call and that person came out the following day and drove the vehicle home.

The cleaner the vehicle (inside, outside and underneath) the better chance you'll have to sell it.. Spend a weekend scrubbing the piss out of it and it'll be worth it.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

If you go the eBay Motors route, be sure to include lots of good pictures and a detailed description. You didn't mention what area you're in, but eBay Motors seems to move a lot of Ford PSD's from Texas. Also be sure to identify if it's 2wd or 4x4... makes a big difference in responses.

Reply to
websurfer

| >Any suggestions? | | I used

I think it was $25 to list the vehicle until | it sells.. Took a little over a week to get a phone call and that | person came out the following day and drove the vehicle home. | | The cleaner the vehicle (inside, outside and underneath) the better | chance you'll have to sell it.. Spend a weekend scrubbing the piss | out of it and it'll be worth it. |

Or get someone to professionally detail it. Chances are they'll make it look better than you can. When you factor in your time and materials and elbow grease, they are not all that expensive.

Reply to
Roy Brown

Well, I have not SOLD a vehicle online, but, just went through GETTING one (a 1999 F350, Powerstroke 4x4). I went the Online route because I had no luck getting anything locally (In Knoxville and surrounding area) for anything approaching what we wanted to spend. The truck did, as noted in other posts, come from Texas, and, even with shipping and such, ended up costing about $5k *less* than it would have if purchased locally. The good thing about selling on the Net is that your pool of purchasers goes from thousands to millions. The bad news is that it is a bit more nervewracking to spend $20k or more online for a vehicle that one might never have driven, so it might be a harder sell. As mentioned elsewhere, having lots of very good pictures and being very exact about one's description of the vehicle. There are some good examples on Ebay motors. I would suggest looking at the listings by "desertautoduplex". They are very good, full of details and with lots of clear pictures. (They ARE the folks that my truck came from, and, the quality of their listings was one reason why I went with them). The things that I looked for when I was searching were (more or less in order): Fuel type (wanted a diesel), 4wd, transmission type (wanted a manual...not automatic), cab type, bed length, dual/single rear wheels, upholstery type (preferred leather...got cloth), color, accessories. I would suggest that you get the truck detailed and the engine steam cleaned at a good carwash. It will probably cost you $100 or so, but, will add $1000 or more to the selling price. Selling online adds complications, and cost, as it might require that the vehicle be shipped quite a distance. That could run as much as $2K, depending on how much of the country it has to cover. When I was looking at it, I was quoted costs anywhere from $1200 to $2200 to ship the truck from San Antonio to Knoxville. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Thanks for the leads, Roy.

Bryan

Reply to
bam

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Thanks Kevin - the ones I've seen for sale on Ebay for instance, seem to be almost showroom - so I have a lot of work to do.

Bryan

Reply to
bam

Thanks websurfer. I'm around the Kennedy Space Center.

Bryan

Reply to
bam

Thanks Dave - that's great advice. The more I think about this, the more I think I'll have to sell it locally. There is no way that detailing will do much. This truck was used solely for work purposes, and though it hasn't been in any accidents, the bed looks like a linebacker's helmet at the end of a good season. So as is, it wouldn't be very "photogenic"!

Bryan

Reply to
bam

*snip*

The good news is that the condition of the bed was NOT one of the things that concerned me. I was looking for a work truck, not a show-room toy, and, I think that MOST of the folks that are buying a truck have the same attitude. I would still look at putting it online, simply for the exposure. You can always specify a local sale only, and by using locally oriented web-sites should be able to focus in on that. However, I did spent a lot of time poking through the local classified ad papers and such looking for a deal on a truck, so, that can certainly work. Good Luck. dave mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Knoxville.

Reply to
reitze

*My experience was very similar Dave. My truck (F-250 PSD) came from Texas, and even w/transport costs and getting it through state inspection after it got here (Va.) I saved about $4k or so against everything I looked at locally. I'd recommend contacting more than one transport company, as you mentioned, the price will vary between shippers for the same distance. I caught a break because the company I used was already scheduling a trip from Texas to bring up some vehicles for a local wholesaler.
*Bryan should be prepared to answer lots of questions!

As mentioned elsewhere, having lots of very good pictures

  • I agree, there are also several BAD examples, so you'll know what NOT to do... they're easy to spot.

Websurfer

Reply to
websurfer

Thanks Dave (and other responders) for all the feedback. Looks like I have some work to do.

Bryan

Reply to
bam

message

heheh, you've never seen me detail a car.. yeah it takes me a weekend, but the end result is excellent... Elbow grease is not really an issue. I've got the polishers, upholstery cleaners etc... (i've got 3 kids.. I've GOT to have this stuff to keep the cars reasonably clean.. hehehe)

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Pictures hide a lot of stuff.. The woman who bought my 4Runner stepped out of her car and said "wow!". her 15 year old nephew, who she was buying the car for, whispered "I want it." after a quick walk around it.

I spent two full days scrubbing the crap out of it and did the clay/buff/wax on the paint and polished all the chrome. I bet I used an entire bottle of Armor-All on the rubber and plastic inside and out.. heheh

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

"The OTHER Kevin in San Diego" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Yep - good 'ol Armor-all! Do the tires too!

Bryan

Reply to
bam