How hard to replace turn signal switch (89 f-150)

I am having a problem with no flashers, no brake lights, and only one turn signal in the back working. I am pretty sure it is the turn signal switch. I know I have to remove the steering wheel. How hard is it to replace the switch and what is involved in doing it?

Reply to
Don

Remove steering wheel, un-screw turn signal lever, remove lower dash panel, un-plug turn signal connector, dis-engage terminals from turn signal conector, remove screws holding turn signal switch in place, pull switch and harness free from column.

You'll want some electrical or masking tape and some fish wire (baling wire) to fish the new harness back down the column.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

And somewhere around the time of 02/11/2004 05:45, the world stopped and listened as Don contributed the following to humanity:

Remove the steering wheel? Have you removed the cover from the steering column? Usually, the switch is a large half-circle unit with two torx screws holding it in with at least two electrical connectors. The hard part is removing the electrical connectors. But then again, I'm going by how my 91 Ranger is put together because I had to do that once.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

Neil N's instructions fit my '75 F150. :)

It's kind of fun not jumping on the OP for leaving what type and year vehicle they got huh? ;) Just answer whatever and let them figure it out? :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Reply to
Walker1940

just had the column apart on an 89 Bronco

F-150 should be the same

when you get the wheel off, it's staring you in the face...........3 screws and its out, only problem might be getting the connector down thru the column

Reply to
TransSurgeon

It's in the subject line. (89 f-150) H

Reply to
Hairy

And somewhere around the time of 02/12/2004 08:23, the world stopped and listened as snipped-for-privacy@XX.com contributed the following to humanity:

Different years, different designs. One would thing that my 1991 Ranger was close enough in design to a F-150. Same manufactuer and all, but I guess not.

Reply to
Daniel Rudy

Oh heck my newsreader (Tin) doesn't show it, all it shows is- "How hard to replace turn signal switch"

No wonder he wasn't being jumped on with both feet huh? :/

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

I don't do anything inside an air-bag equipped column

it goes to the body shop down the street

Reply to
TransSurgeon

You're missing out on some good jobs there Gary. Bob

Reply to
Bob

The only thing different you need to do is:

Disconnect the battery, and for added safety, get a stattic electricity wrist strap fron Snap On or Mac. There's really nothing to worry about, just to feel safer, discharce to ground before you touch the activator on the bag.

Don't give away revenue, soon they're won't be any independants left, and the car companies won't mind a bit.

Peace!

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

I have a 90 mercury marquis... does the steering wheel removal run in to complications with the air bag?

Reply to
R&T

no, just remove it like any other horn pad.

Reply to
Steve Barker