How important is the long bed?

I have been looking for a good used pickup, and I am finding many more with the short bed, in the condition I need, than with the long bed. I have been holding out for a long bed just because, but do you guys with short bed trucks miss the long bed much? I found a terrific truck, everything just right, except it is a short bed.

Also, why does there seem to be so many more shortbed extended cab trucks than long bed? I thought most people would want the longest bed available.

Reply to
Tim

Unfortunately, more and more people are buying the extended cab with the short bed and using it like a passenger car or SUV. It is the in trend to own a big truck, but have a need for it. It's like people that I know owning a 4x4 in the city and never even thinking of using the 4x4. Everybody has a

4x4, so they think they need one. I myself do not miss having the long bed on my 99 F350 SD PSD 4x4, it would just add on that much more to the over all length of this monster. But on my 70 F100, the long bed is perfect. Different strokes for different folks. Rich
Reply to
Richard Cox

I have a 2003 F150 Supercab 4x4 with short bed. I have the short bed for one reason, they did not offer a long bed on F150 Supercab. My old truck (93 regular cab F150 4x4) had the long bed and I miss the long bed.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Reply to
Susan Ravan

Reply to
John Cadella

I have an F350 Crewcab long bed with DRW. I don't think they get much longer or wider. It took me a couple weeks but now I don't even notice the size that much. One feature I wouldn't do without is the rear sensor system. It engages only when I'm backing up and is a pain if I'm towing something. But its sure nice to have some additonal help when judging how far away you are from something behind you. I will say there are some parking spaces that I just have to pass by, and there are others that once I'm in, the truck sticks out feet past the cars surrounding it. I've driven it downtown in tight streets and heavy traffic, and to the grocery store and Drs office. I'm comfortable with it and with what I think can do with it. I got the long bed for pulling a 5th wheel, the crewcab for the 2 little kids and now 2 dogs. Thats why I bought the long bed and my experience. The bottomline is what you want to do with long or short bed and what your comfortable with driving in the various conditions you drive in. We can all give you advice, but there is no one right answer. Goodluck! Brent

Reply to
<rbg13

According to Ford's Web site, they do/did. Your dealer may not have had it, but it certainly looks like an available configuration.

Reply to
scrape at mindspring dot com

I would imagine it just has to do with what you want to carry in it. Motorcycles and 8' lumber don't fit well in short beds.

Reply to
scrape at mindspring dot com

Depends what you are going to do with it. If you are going to use it for work, you might need the longbed. But if you aren't going to stow sheets of plywood in the back, it might not matter. I've had both, and like both. I prefer a short bed for a street play truck. It's lighter, and to me looks more "classic" and less boxy with the rear fenders, or maybe molded in "fenderettes" on these new trucks... And you can still haul a good bit. But for any work or camper, etc, a long bed is handy. My bed is 7.5 feet. Half a foot shorter than the standard longbed, but on a longbed frame. But mines a utility bed...:/ MK

Reply to
Mark Keith

Hey Rex,

Same ride here but with a 460. One of the guys I work with was laughing at me trying to get the monster into a parking spot today. I'm a back of the lot parker now for sure. Easier. Still have to make getting out a couple of point turn sometimes. Love it though. No fear about buying or hauling anything.

Reply to
Cudighi

You sound like me. I'm an impulse buyer, whether it's a set of wheels or an orphaned lathe. Nice to be able to make the one trip. It never fails when I take the Honda or the Bug to work (30 mpg) instead of the truck (14 mpg) I run across something that I need to haul right now. What I need is a crewcab 4x4 with 8-ft bed that gets 20 mpg in town. Let me know if you run across one :)

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Got the perfect solution for you. Get a 7.3 PSD with the compass , temp and mileage computer gizmo, and add a chip.Mine went from showing 16-18 mpg to

23-28 mpg.Watching that computer makes me feel good. Just don't figure the mileage yourself you'll get depressed.

Tim Sigmon

2000 F250 7.3PSD 4X4 Crewcab Lariat
Reply to
Tim Sigmon

|> You sound like me. I'm an impulse buyer, whether it's a set of wheels or |an |> orphaned lathe. Nice to be able to make the one trip. |> It never fails when I take the Honda or the Bug to work (30 mpg) instead |of |> the truck (14 mpg) I run across something that I need to haul right now. |> What I need is a crewcab 4x4 with 8-ft bed that gets 20 mpg in town. |Let me |> know if you run across one :) |>

|> Rex in Fort Worth | | |Got the perfect solution for you. Get a 7.3 PSD with the compass , temp and |mileage computer gizmo, and add a chip.Mine went from showing 16-18 mpg to |23-28 mpg.Watching that computer makes me feel good. Just don't figure the |mileage yourself you'll get depressed. | |Tim Sigmon |2000 F250 7.3PSD 4X4 Crewcab Lariat

LOL So you are saying that the chip returns less fuel economy? Or is it just harder to keep your right foot from misbehaving?

What chip did you use? Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

I have a 2003 Lightning, which comes only with a short bed, and it has been more than adequate for my needs. With the tailgate down, it will comfortably haul 4'x8' sheets of plywood, drywall, etc., and even 11' fence rails, if they're properly secured.

I had a Ranger with a 6' bed, and the problem with that was the narrow bed width, not the length. Along with the Lightning. I also have a Sport Trac (wife's car) with a 4-1/2' bed. Now THAT's a little short, but with a locking hard cover, it holds alot of groceries. ;)

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim J

Tim -

Planning on towing a fifth wheel - get the long bed (yes they have special hitches - but the long bed is more stable due to its longer wheelbase)

Planning on hauling a whole buncha shit - including a whole lotta 4x8 sheets of plywood - buy the longbed

Plannng on driving and parking it in a normal parking lot - buy the shortbed

Planning on driving it in traffic and not have to worry about the extra 2 feet or so - buy a short bed

I've heard both sides - "the long bed has more resale value" and "the shortbed has more resale value". I think if you are buying a stripped XL that a contractor might want to buy from you, he'd want the longbed. If you sell it to a soccor mom - give you one guess what she will want.

Cheers,

Papa Don

Reply to
Don

my 2cents worth. At least in 2000 superduty psd, the long had a

40gallon fuel tank. wasn't available in the short.

Reply to
Dies Deambulo

Oh !! Excellent Point - great for those long road trips!!!!!

Reply to
Don

good point - my 01 f150 only has (I think) a 25 gal tank...just 5 more gals than my jeep cherokee. Looks like there was room for more. john

Reply to
John Cadella