How the #$!% do I disconnect this '95 fuel line?

Heya, working on a 1995 Ford E250 cargo van 4.9L L6 with 176k miles. The fuel filter looks like it hasn't been replaced since it came off the production line.. My old '93 Taurus had those easy to remove plastic clips that secured the fuel line to the filter. The lines on this van are secured to the fuel filter by these metal nozzles, which I'm assuming are the 'quick connect' type. While the filter itself is thoroughly rusted, these connectors on the ends of the fuel lines actually still look decent with no rust...perhaps they're aluminum? I bought one of those scissor-style fuel line disconnect tools from carquest with a 3/8" and a

5/16" end. I've been pulling, pushing, yanking on both the filter and the line, and cussing for an hour here with no luck and I don't want to end up tearing the line apart just to get this disconnected. The illustration on the tool packaging indicates I am supposed to clip the tool around the filter input/output and push it into the nozzle of the fuel line.. and then the line is supposed to disconnect, right? Laugh at my problems if you like as I'm still learning things, but as the topic states.. How the #$!% do I disconnect this?

Thanks, Jay

Reply to
Ford Warrior

Sounds like you're going about it the right way, the problem is all the dust and dirt that has got into that coupler over the years. Lots of brake cleaner and compressed air usually cleans them up good enough so they come apart. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Your using the right tool and technique, it's the connector that's being stubborn. Give 'em a shot of penetrating oil and blow 'em out with compressed air a few times and just keep working at it.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Well, glad to hear I at least have the method correct.. What sort of genius thought up this design? It seems to me some sort of miniature hose clamp would have been more logical. Manufacturers who choose to use these "quick connect" fittings on their fuel lines should mention the caveat "hacksaw not included." I ran out of daylight today and so will give this another shot tomorrow morning. Had enough rust in the eyes for one day. Maybe some WD-40 will do the trick..

thanks Jay

Reply to
Ford Warrior

Try to push the fuel line on the old filter and then push the tool inside stainless steel fitting and then pull fuel line

I know , you need 3 hands to do that Don't pull the fuel line while pushing tool in, it will not unlock that way

Reply to
johanb

illustration on

Buy the proper one and it will work. The 95 uses a QD that takes a deeper flange than that tool has to disengage the locks. If you want to save some money make a tool out of steel tubing that fits the line. Split the tubing and slide the two pieces in the QD at the same time.

Reply to
Steve W.

Those things get pretty crudded up and stuck after 10 years or so. Had the same problem and though it was going to break. Hit it with WD-40 every day for a few days and it then came loose, albeit reluctantly. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
NickySantoro

The tips were appreciated.. After another 20 minutes of soaking the couplings with WD-40 a couple times and working the scissors tool around every edge of the couplings I finally was able to get them off. Another newbie passes through the quick connect gates of hell...

thanks Jay

Reply to
Ford Warrior