How to basicially read OBDll Standardized Diagnostic Trouble codes

Got this from a class I was in recently, thought it was interesting.

How to basically read OBDll Standardized Diagnostic Trouble codes.

The codes start with a letter:

The trouble code area: P- Powertrain B- Body C- Chassis U- Network Fault

Who created this code:

0- SAE defined code 1- Manufacture defined code 2- Manufacture (they ran out of codes for 1 so they expanded to "2")

System:

0- Total system 1- Air-fuel control 2- Air-fuel control 3- Ignition system or misfire 4- Auxiliary Emission Controls 5- Idle or speed controls 6- Computer system (PCM or I/O) 7- Transmission 8- Non-computer controlled Powertrain

The last two digits indicate the specific problem area

So the code P1711 would tell us:

P- Powertrain

1- It's a manufacture's code 7- Transmission 11- Transmission oil temperature circuit out of range

and the code P0300 would tell us:

P- Powertrain O- It's a SAE mandated code

3- Ignition system or misfire 00- random misfire detected
Reply to
Steve

===== Well done Steve. Your posts are very clear and constructive. Rare on the NG's. Keep it up. Geoff.

Reply to