How to check/ top off rear axle?

Hi,

I have a new to me 1998 F-150. The rear axle pumpkin has no drain/fill plug. The bottom gasket area is damp and I don't know if much oil has leaked out over time. It leaves no drops on the garage floor...but how can I check level? And...how do you refill one of these? Through the axel shafts??? One of Ford's better ideas???

I must be overlooking something simple.

Thanks for some help, Chuck

djdave

Interesting. My 94 F-250 just got changed. It called for synthetic 75-140W and a pint of anti-slip diff additive. They sucked out the old stuff with a vacuum, and it cost $150 to get it done. Wonder if it's because it's a limited slip?

MM^^

Reply to
invalid unparseable

The friction modifier is due to the limited slip. He will need that also if changing the fluid and has LS.

Djdave, my understanding Ford has changed it's recommendations for front and rear diffs from 75w90 to 75w140. Pretty sure it is all years.

Reply to
Marlin Singer

Reply to
djdave