How to replace the tail light on a '97 F150

Hello All:

I am helping a friend find out how to replace a taillight on a 97 F150.

There are two hex nuts taht one can access from inside the truck bed. I suppose we have to take them out first. But then I found an older post here indicating that it is difficult to figure out opening the taillight module:

"Once removed, the light assembly is "loose", but does not come out. Something away from the tail gate is keeping it in. "

When we get to that stage what do we do? Yank harder?

Deguza

Reply to
Kompu Kid

They probably arent HEX, they are more likely TORX bits. Torx bits have a star shaped pattern, where as the hex bits dont have six points, just six sides. You can use a hex bit to take a torx screw out, but I dont recommend it.

Kompu, You want to pull that tail light assy straight out. You are going to feel resistance because there are 2 pins that are holding it in place. The pins have a raised middle so they will kind of snap into place and should the screws come out, they will hold the tail light in.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech