Identifying 1967-1972 Ford pickups

I just got started putting a webpage together on how to identify the

1967-1972 Ford series of trucks, and how to differentiate a '67 from the other years, specifically designed to aid those who are trying to figure out what year their truck is, with side-by-side comparisons of features from different years. I've done some more work to it this afternoon, and would appreciate any input from anyone with corrections and/or additions.

The page is located at:

Keith

Reply to
Keith

Chowrunner

John: I'm just getting started on this project, so I'm no expert yet, but I'm learnin' a little more each day. While I know Ford was a great one for introducing mid-year changes, I haven't specifically heard of the safety reflectors being one of those. As far as I know, all '68s should have that reflector. I'm thinking that if your truck has the side reflector, it SHOULD have the rear one below the tail-light as well...they'd have been installed at the same time by the factory. Does it maybe look like your truck was originally equipped with them but later removed? Has there been any bodywork done to your truck, during which time the reflectors removed and the screwholes filled in?

Keith

Chowrunner wrote:

Reply to
Keith

Well then, I don't know what to tell you. One thing I've learned over the years is that the factory (ANY automotive assembly line) is not the most scientific thing. There were often options added or left off which were not the norm, or variations according to how things were going there on any specific day. Maybe the assembly line worker had to take a leak before those were installed, but the line had moved on by the time he made it back...LOL. Seriously, I don't know. Your truck should have those reflectors, according to 1968 Federal Safety Regulations. I suppose it only matters if you're doing a concourse-style 100-point restoration, but for a driver, it's insignificant. Just enjoy it! :-)

Keith

Chowrunner wrote:

Reply to
Keith

I assume my 68 f-250 had them, but I'll never know for sure because they changed to a ute bed when it was new. Or nearly new anyway...No telling where the original bed is... I do see variations on many things, and you are right, many changes are made mid year, and sometimes you see stuff that doesn't make sense according to common date/assembly knowledge. IE: In some books, it seems 69 was the first year for the carter one barrel on the sixes, and previous years, including 68, used the motorcraft carbs. But my 68 has a carter. My grille is the same as a 67, and all my grill parts, bumper, headlight dishes, etc are white and unchromed. My truck was a plain janer...My interior looks quite a bit like the one in your pix with the white doors as far as color. I have white doors, lower dash, etc. My dash pad, original seats, and steering wheel are blue. Plain jane idiot light instrument panel. "mine also has the redline at 70 mph. " This raises a question...A while back, I told a friend of mine that I thought the redline was due to me having a 4:10 rear end, and that the redline really was a "redline" as far as cruising speeds. But he said, naw, it was for the speedlimit back then. But then I notice on your pix with the "deluxe" panel, there is no redline. Hummmm....Maybe I was closer after all...Curious...Did that truck with the redline have a low rear end ratio? 4:10 or 4:56? Maybe it was a six banger thing, but I can't think of why... I have a 300 six/4 speed T-18/4:10 rear. Or maybe just a quirk of the "plainjane" panel...dunno...Site looks good, and the info seems accurate as far as I know. MK

Reply to
Mark Keith

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:19:04 -0700, Mark Keith rearranged some electrons to form:

I think your friend is right. My 1970 Torino has a red tick mark at

70mph on the speedo. It doesn't have anything to do with the rev limit, it's the interstate speed limit (at the time).
Reply to
David M

Keith, you seem to have a good grasp on the older Ford Trucks. I desperately need a turn signal switch for a '76 F-250 camper special with cruise and NO tilt. Any links or ideas where I might get one? I've already tried lmc trucks and they don't have it.

thanks!

Reply to
Steve Barker

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I can drive up a fairly steep hill idling in 1st... Don't even have to rev the engine any to drop the clutch. Just slip it into gear and start moving. My reverse is even lower. Lowest reverse gear I've ever seen on any tranny....Probably can only do 20 mph flat out it seems like...

Yep. Has a limited slip tag too.

The tag, and the obvious fairly low gearing...I do about 2700 rpm or so at 55-60 mph. Also the serial number gear listing matches also...

Mine is limited slip also. I guess the only real difference is the name...Mine is a dana 60 full float. IE: I can yank an axle off one side, and still drive on the other if one broke.

Dang... I thought that was standard...I have the rear carrier on mine. I use it too being I have a camper shell..

I need new shocks on mine. Thats the only part on the front end I haven't replaced yet...Actually, they don't seem too bad, but I think it would ride firmer with new shocks. What I'd really like to get is anti-sway bars...That would really flatten the ride on corners.

I just got rid of the split rims I had, except for one spare. Good riddance too....Too dangerous to change, and many won't even touch em. I had 7.50-16's. I now have 235/85-16's same as you...I considered

75's, but I got a better price on the 85's. I'd like higher gearing on the highway. I'm trying to decide if I should spring for an overdrive tranny, or just change the rear end gear... Obviously, the gear change is easier, but the overdrive would be better overall. I'd still have my low speed torque. But an overdrive is a lot of $$$$ unless I can swing a deal. And then I have to mount that sucker and probably modify the driveshaft. Then I have to worry about shifter position, etc...Naturally, I'd prefer a top shifter like I have now. Dunno, I'm basically lazy, and thats a lot of work...Gear changing sure seems a lot easier... If I change gears, it will be a 3:54 most likely. I think a 3:33 is probably a bit too high for my 3/4 ton truck and a six banger..I still want some low end torque. A 3:70 is ok, but still a bit low geared on the highway. The guy I work with has a 240 six and a 3:70 in a 74 F-100. So I know what I can expect with it. The 3:54 should be about perfect for all around use in my case. MK
Reply to
Mark Keith

I used to live right down the road from Lenexa back in the 60's. I lived in Merriam on W. 69th about 4 houses from the I-35 service road. Close to Georgetown townhouses etc, Shawnee Mission Hospital, etc...Gulf Research was right behind our house. I went to Antioch elementary school on 75th street. "I think that was the street" Milburn Jr hi. "I think it was on 71st or something like that." Those schools don't even exist any more in their old forms. Renamed, moved, etc. Then I moved... I moved from there in late 69. That area has changed quite a bit since then by what I can see on the internet. But I can see from overhead satellite pix our old house is still there...MK

Reply to
Mark Keith

Mine's ~2100 at 60mph, I've timed my speedometer and know it's still off about 5 mph and the odometer is off about 12.7% best I can figure. I adjusted the return spring on the speedometer to return the needle to the peg but just barily and that helped a bunch.

That'd be a fancy trick if I could do that with mine huh? ;) One of mine's a little bent tho. :/ But I have two bent wheels and figured out a way to pretty much offset both of their crookedness if I install the wheel a certain way. LOL. :)

I removed mine and carry two spares since i have them anyway. They fit under the cross-bed tool box.

Since you've got a camper... I bet you'll really like sway bars

I did something completely different and really kooky. :/

I added 322 lbs of lead and hardware to the inside face of my rear bumper.

I told you it was kooky didn't i? ;) It was something I've been wanting to do for over 15 years and I finally got it done.

Tubes! :( Get a little thorn in a tube and it's flat right now like a friggin ballon. :/ And split rims are ugly being rusty and all.

Cool! :)

What's really neat about all that is, you have a bench mark to work from, the engineering change isn't open ended, you'll prob'ly get it right on the money the first time that way.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj